Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm going to see Edgar Meyer tonight!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by godoze, May 21, 2004.

1. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    This should be fun...maybe aftertwards I can teach him a thang or two...lol

He's playing duo with Bela Fleck...I'm not a big Fleck fan but "when in Rome..." Right fellas ?

2. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004

Wow man, have a good time! That should be a very cool show. I'm not a big Fleck fan, but I'd go see Meyer no matter who he was with...well...unless it was Yanni.

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    it was a pretty good show. The program contained a bunch of flashy stuff without much musicality. I was however impressed with the slower pieces they played.

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    95%

5. One more question:

Did Edgar play piano at all? I've heard can really play that instrument (not surprisingly, judging from the piano parts he's composed for his original pieces).

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    yes, he played piano also.

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Actually the program contained a lot of flash; kinda reminded me of a Vladimir Horowitz concert. His musicality really shone through on Mendelssohn's "Song with Without Words" and a piece co-written with Bela.

I pick up the pics tonight---me and ol' Edgar having a beer ! Plus I took some sideways shots of his bass if anyone is interested.

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    He is a good pianist;very expressive. He seems a very down to earth guy.

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Me and Ed and Ed's early 18th c. Florentine "small 3/4" bass

(Edgar's heineken, not mine...)

Attached Files:

10. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    It looks quite tiny in person...

11. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Wow, you can even see the rosin caked on the strings and the fingerboard before the towel hit it. Neat picture.