Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm going to see Wayne Shorter!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Vorago, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Tomorrow at Jazz Middelheim in Antwerp!

band:

Wayne Shorter: Sax
    Danilo Perez: Piano
    John Patitucci: Bass
    Brian Blade: Drum

I can't wait, awesome band, and Patitucci is a monster! (and seriously underrated, I saw him with Scofield two years ago, amazing)

I'll try to get some pics too.

2. Have fun ! :) I'm kinda surprised that you listen to Jazz...

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Not really on regular bases, but it's an opportunity to see amazing musicians live, and it's 15 minutes away from my door, so why not?

4. Andyattalkbass

Andyattalkbass

Aug 11, 2005
    England
    Enjoy the gig! Hope you manage to get some pictures. I definately agree about Patitucci, great player and often overlooked.

5. I think it's good that you listen to Jazz , it's just that i didn't expected it from you.

6. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

I caught the same band in Toronto 2 years ago.

Brian Blade stole the show. Really wicked.

Some of the songs though were really out there. Afterwards I ran into some old jazz teachers of mine, and they had no clue what was going on. LOL.

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    That'd be a great show, but I'm having trouble understanding how John Patitucci is underrated. As far as I've seen it, he gets international accolades and the gigs that would make most people wet themselves.

8. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I saw that band i think 2 years ago in Indy. I'm wagering that most of what they said went waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over my head. Brian's playing really opened up my ears to a way of playing i hadn't heard before. I was impressed w/John's ability to just hold a groove while Wayne, Danilo, and Brian went nuts. I left the concert w/my jaw barely attached. My dad-not really into jazz said "i didn't like it.....i know he was doing some really killer stuff, but i didn't get it". I don't think i got much of it-but i was still blown away.

That's all

9. I saw that group play a couple of years ago. I remember being struck by Wayne Shorter the most. I guess I couldn't believe that I was hearing "that sound" that I had listened to on records for years in person.

10. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    lucky you! :D

Wayne and John are great!

11. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    it was awesome, report will follow later this day.

12. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    As promised, a little report; Bzzz Pük featuring Nguyên Lê

Well, I had never heard of this band before, but when I saw that drums and bass were played by Stephane Galland (Aka Moon, Joe Zawinul Syndicate) and Linley Marthe (Joe Zawinul Syndicate) I knew this was going to be a very exciting gig. The guitarplayer, Nguyên Lê, was amazing as well: great soloing, chops, being supportive when the music asked for it, this guy did it all (and he played a bongo guitar, I think). The trombone was played by Geoffrey de Massure. The music was brilliant; it had tons of groove, amazing musicianship (oh boy what a rhythm section!), soundscapes (thanks to Nguyên Lê), great soloing...I think de Massure was the weakest link in the band, he relied too much on the sound of his instrument, which could be easily heard when he started soloing, but an amazing player anyway. Conclusion; amazing gig. Period.

Fred Hersch Trio + Two; dinner time :D What I heard from it didn't sound very interesting, and a man's gotta eat as well ;)
    Probably a good gig, but not my cup of tea anyway.

Wayne Shorter Quartet; Simply amazing. This wasn't Shorter + band, it was 1 band, an organic matter that moved in various directions at the same moment, but succeeded in staying together all the time. There were very few solos (1 for each bandmember) whit the rest of the band standing back and watching. Everybody seemed to be doing their own thing and at the same time filling up the other bandmembers in their playing. Brilliant. (Patitucci is a monster btw). The only negative remark I could make is the fact that drummer Brian Blade was sometimes a bit too omnipresent, while Danilo Perez was pushed a bit back.

Positive

Great site, very calm and clean.
    Music being played at a level that doesn't damage your ears.
    Great music
    Great bands

Negative

Expensive food and drinks, I took a Duvel glass home because a coke costed € 1.70 and I payed € 3.4 for a shabby burger.

The guy that started being anal because I told my brother about the Bzzz Puk rhythm section during one of their songs.

Those stupid cameramen that often blocked my view on the stage, both during Bzzz Puk and Wayne Shorter.

The totally ridiculous distance between the stage and the crowd, I estimate it was almost 6 meter.

Those A-holes that guard their seats by putting a jacket or a backpack on it. This must be the only festival I know where you sit instead of standing up. I can understand this somehow, because we're talking here about a mixed crowd, with quite some old people, but I find these kind of tricks (leaving your jacket) extremely egocentric. I've seen seats on the 2nd row that were occupied by a backpack all day long, only to be used by someone during Wayne Shorter. At North Sea Jazz (another Jazz festival in Holland, which takes the concept of Jazz a bit wider, and includes funk and soul) everybody stands up. If you want a good view, you have to make a sacrifice, like on every other festival I've been to. Really pissed me off.

The overall hate from the Jazz purists towards everything that comes remotely close to funk or soul.

No pics I'm afraid, I was too far away (see above) from the stage to get a descent view.

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Agreed.

The closest I'll get to hearing these guys is Footprints LIVE!...although a 'sister' recording was just released a couple months ago. Anyone have that?

Agree with C-3PO...these guys can stretch & get 'out' there.

14. I saw this Wayne Shorter band a few months ago. I individually love everyone in the band, and have their solo records. Together, they left me cold. It was way too artificial, and grooved only sporadically. They seemed bored with enjoyable music, and were actively trying to create something else.

15. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Vorego, I must admit that before I read this post I thought you were the typical Anti-American tree hugging European Snot that had no clue. Now I think your are a typical Anti-American tree hugging European snot that has a clue. My faith in humanity has been restored! :D THERE IS HOPE AFTER ALL!! :p And I'd go to a Wayne Shorter concert with you any-day! :cool:

16. wayne shorter is the man. :)