Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm going to smack the next guitar player I hear with his mids scooped!!!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Jan 28, 2006.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    On my nights off, I've been going to check out bands. There's one trend I've been noticing, and it's usually something that happens with the less "professional" bands. The guitar player muds up the mix by scooping out the mids. Just two weeks ago, I caught a a Rock/Metal band, and the guitar player would fire off leads that got lost in the mix because he didn't have any mids. The guy was obviously in his 30's somewhere, so he should be old enough and experienced enough to know that he shouldn't be scooping out the middle. I feel bad for the sound guys that have to run these bands because people are going to be blaming them on the bad mix. No, it's not the sound guy's fault; it's the fault of the guitar player who doesn't know how to properly eq his amp. Obviously, bass players are guilty of these, but I REALLY hate it when guitar players do it.

Anyone else sick of scooped mids?

2. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Nah, I'm sick of that fuggin Antares Autotune POS. It's on everything that plays on the radio anymore. Everyone sounds like a fuggin robot.

Know what? I can sing in tune. Used to be (oddly enough), that was actually a requirement for singers. *** happened???

3. Hey Alvaro...I use the contour on my Hartke, but I also boost mids and highs, while slightly attenuating the lows for a nice cutting rock sound, although it's not near as good as my Mesa Bass 400..

I look at the contour as the shape of the mids....the Hartke Kickback 15 just sounds like garbage without it...my Rick is also one of the most Mid-heavy basses around, it makes my J Bass sound like it has scooped mids..

...and, to get back on the original post...guitarists scooping mids? I played with one for two years..ugh!

4. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Some guitar amps come w/ a button on them that says "Scoop". There's one on mine (I play both) I think I tried it twice just to see what it sounded like.:spit: So much for that, but the owners manual makes it sound like THE thing.

5. steve21

steve21 Banned

I think my amp has a "mid scoop" too. I don't use it.

My EQ is generally bass 10, low-mid 10, hi-mid 8, hi 6.

I <3 mids.

6. funny you mention that, after my bands gig tonight we headed down to the studio to check up on the mixing of the new album we just recorded over the last couple weeks. We were messing around with that autotuner for fun, I never knew that thing existed till tonight and it explains A LOT in regards to the current music being released...haha

7. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    My guitar player has a nasty habit of boosting the highs...and all you really hear in the mix is hiss. So, one day while we were writing, he said he wasn't real happy with his sound. I recommended that he get a better amp (because he's playing through a Crate) but until then, let me work on his sound. I boosted his mids, dropped his highs (basically giving the eq a Hump), and immediately he loved the sound he got while playing with us.

His main problem from what I could tell is that at low volumes playing by himself it sounded good, but when played in the mix of drums and bass, he just got lost.

8. well, guitar players think because they can naturally be louder because they have an instrument that projects easier that they want a one man sound. now, for all those that don't konw, apparently scooping the mids gives a big dark bassy tone. that's why they do it i think. to compensate for how their sound would be thin

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Just take the mid controls off of amps, makes it easier ;)

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I play guitar as well, and while playing through my metalzone pedal, I have recently been pegging the mids up high. I love the sound it gets. Scooping sounds okay on it's own, but I almost never do it.

11. lol , well im lucky my lead guitar player plays with mids and what not but our rhythm his tone is jsut ugly all bass but no mids, like i wouldnt not understand why people would want that i have a Scoop knob on my bass( i only play bass) and i only use to even out my sound such i boost mids to allmost all the way and then push the scoop up like 1/5 of the way up with my bass and treble at a fairly low point and it evens out nice but completely take out the mids is just bad.....IMO

12. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder encridublee smatr

Nov 22, 2004
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Well I'm convinced that guitar player's turn up the low frequencies when they play by themselves to get a fuller sound. But when they get into practice with the band they fail to adjust the lows out of the mix and tend to muddy up the lows and walk all over the bass frequency.

13. I don't know about scooped mids, but I'm tired of my GP thinking that it sounds good to boost the treble all the way and cut bass and mids all the way. :rollno:

14. I hate guitarists that hog the lows and scoop the mids. When I play with them, I feel like I may as well not be there

15. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    I'm truly enjoying this thread, as I learned something from it, and I shan't be too ashamed (or embarassed) to tell y'all what it is that I now know: the meaning of "scooping mids..." :confused: Yup! I had seen that term "scoop" being applied many times here in TB, yet I never quite got a definition out of context, so I felt like the typical dumbass :( , and figured that, at some point, I was going to have to show my cards and ask... now I don't have to... y'all gave me the meaning right here in this thread! Thank you... :)

At 53, I'm now playing strictly for the fun of it... and reviving some of the old memories, too. My band: we're a 3-piece with a frontman covering 60s & 70s rock classics. My bandmates are between 7 to 10 years younger than me, and my guitar player is the youngest member at 43. On average we gig about four times a month, and we do get paid for it, too. However, there is another band I play with, so I'm usually playing every weekend... and getting paid. I don't need the money, but I'm certainly not going to turn it down. My accountant says I have to report my income, however... :crying: :crying: :bawl:

I wanna talk a little bit about my guitar player. Talent-wise, he's pretty good. Over the years I've played with guys who were a lot 'flashier'... EVH wannabes... you know the type. I've played with guys who could pick just about any song right out of the air and give a very respectable rendition. I've played with guys who were so full of theory, and some of those guys were Al Di Meola wannabes... etc, etc... However, my guy takes his guitar playing, and the sounds he searches for, very seriously. While he knows a little bit of theory, and can read a little... kinda like myself, he relies upon his ear, as do I. My guy really does work at his craft. He will sit down and try to get as close as he can to sound like Billy Gibbons on the ZZ Top songs we cover, or Eric Clapton on the Cream classics, etc... he works on both the chops as well as closely recreating the sound. As a musician and bassist, I really appreciate the effort he puts into this. He seems to take a scientific approach toward his art... after all, his day job: he's a dentist!

Audience members, as well as other musicians, have approached us and complimented our sound. The one we all like to hear goes something like this, "You guys sound just like the record..." :D

16. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    They can cut them all they like(our guitarists use small combos that dont have much low end, so they ring clear regardless of mids or no mids). I hack through them with heavily boosted mids, and it helps that I use a Warwick and Spector primarily, as these cut through very well.

17. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    No dude, i'm the exact opposite. Scooped tone for the win!

18. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    Yo u won't be heard live.

19. I know EXACTLY what you mean - my guitarist uses the "scoop" button then BOOSTS the bass and highs...I admit it sounds ok when not in the band - but if I stop playing during band practice I honestly cannot tell...:(

He's very particular about his eqing and tells me it sounds good when he records with it (well...he's doing a degree in technology/recording so im not gonna argue with him) - I KNOW he'll just tell me to get lost if I say anything to him (I can't describe what the guy's like...I just can't be bothered arguing coz he can argue himself into the helpless victim point within 30 seconds flat - what can I say? - he's up his own arse SO bady)

I'm thinking of boosting my mids and cutting my lows just to try and make it sound like it fits better - then if people say we sound **** at the gig we may be doing on saturday then I'll just tell them to tell the guitarist!!!:smug: :D

I mean... isn't guitar supposed to be a MID/TREBLE instrument and not a BASS instrument???