Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i'm going to vancouver!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jade, Aug 10, 2002.

1. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    from August 19 to the 23 .. with my friends and my brother.

i have a few friends there, but i'm not sure what i will do.

is there any stores i should check out? or anything to see?

btw, we're all teenages and taking the bus to get there, so once were there, our only transportation is the public tranist there.

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    hey! my sister's name is Jade too...

but i cant give you any Canadian info... maybe our resident Canucks can help.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Gastown is a must. It's a downtown area from the Victorian era and Vancouver's oldest commercial district - lots of nightlife and clubs from rave to rock.

It's one of those urban areas where just walking down the street is entertainment.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Go have a cup of coffee and a burger at the lodge on Grouse Mountain. What a view!

5. hmm..i think its time for a canadian to reply...

I believe they have a steves music store there, they're okay, i dont know many other there mind you, i'm only there once a year or so. if you're into cultural stuff, main street has awesome foods from all diferent cultures. someone is from vancouver here...i cant remember who at the moment though!
    peace&plaid
    -shoonk

6. Damn! I was just there in June...there was a really cool music store that was several stories tall...if i remember correctly it was a Sears outlet. Also, everything there is cheap for us U.S. citizens, so stock up on cds and other things! I got a Fima Ephron cd for about 5 bucks cheaper than it is in the states.

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Which also means get a tax refund form when you enter/leave the country (or at a place like a hotel) and save your receipts for every purchase/expenditure.

You send the info to the office shown on the form and you get a refund of all the tax money you paid when you leave. (There is a quicker/automatic way to do it like at an airport but I won't bog you down with the details. They're explained where you get the forms. It's quite easy).

8. That may have been Tom Lee Music -

[​IMG]
    (Downtown)
    929 Granville Street,
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada V6Z 1L3
    (604) 685-8471 phone (604) 685-2513

Also visit Long & McQuade -
    (Downtown)
    412 W. Hastings St.
    Vancouver, BC
    (at Homer.)
    Tel: (604) 682-5288

or
    (Just outside Downtown)
    2301 Granville St.
    Vancouver, British Columbia
    V6H 3G4
    (between West Broadway and the Granville Street Bridge.)
    Tel: (604) 734-4886

Hmmm, my son has U.S. Citizenship (dual) but doesn't get a 'discount'. :)

9. As far as I'm concerned, unless you're 19, Vancouver is as boring as s**t...

Great suggestion, HeavyDuty - Grouse mountain would be an idea - if you like hiking, do the grind all the way up then enjoy the killer view at the top. I just did two weeks ago. That view will never get old.

--jeff

10. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC

i live in calgary and we have a store here too, i'm checking it out on monday with some of my friends.

11. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    i'm only 15 and my friends are 16 and 17. Quess it's going to be boring, oh well better then staying at home and dogin nothing.

12. Yes, it was Tom Lee! Thanks X.
    What I meant by discount is that the US dollar is worth more, so it's kind of like getting a pretty big discount when you buy something in Canada because everything is in Canadian money with is worth less than US money.

13. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm an old fart - I take the cable lift from North Van (I think it is)!

14. Lazy bugger :p

Yup, the cable lift is indeed in North Vancouver. You go all the way up Capilano road and BAM, you cannot possibly miss it.

--jeff

15. Probably. Good luck!

16. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    You're coming in at the tail end of a lot of cool festivals. This weekend is a real peak time: Tall Ships, Airshow, Fireworks. Last night I played for Festival Vancouver at the Orpheum theatre with Alan Matheson's Big band. Featured Phil Woods, Bud Shank, Carol Welsman and local great Cam Ryga. Today I played at the "Under the Volcano" festival with a great Brazilian carnival band. . .

I don't know how much will be happening then, but get a Georgia Straight (free local entertainment paper) when you arrive, and see what is on in town. There are often free outdoor events in the summer. PS You've gotta try the sushi, it's one of the best features here in "Lotusland".

17. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    Thanks for everyone that replied.

I've looks up attractions and came up with these:

Stanley park, i have a friend who lives in that area.
    Playland, not sure what it is but it sounds fun :)
    Capilano Suspension Bridge, bridges are fun.
    Vancouver aquarium, cant miss the fishes :)
    Canada Place, not sure what this is either.
    Metrotown, shopping center, gurenteed fun eh?

18. Bessie

Bessie

Aug 11, 2002
    Vancouver,Canada
    I didn't read any of the other replies, so if I repeat something, I apologize.
    Anywho, visite Granville street. Take the skytrain and get off at granville. There are a lot of stores there that you might be interested in. One in paticular that I can think of is Tom Lee. It's huge!!(This is my opinion. I have never seen a bigger one before) So much stuff!. Also, check out Robson Street. It's right off of Granville St. If you deciede to go to granville , when you walk out of the station and onto the street, theres always this one man who sits on the sidewalk with a sign for money, food, job and god bless. Say hi to him if you see him. He's really cool. say hi to him. Oh, and remember, if you are gonna do all the stuff people tell you to do, be prepared and brings loads of money. It's not cheap. Try and meet people. Some of them are really interesting. And while on granville, look for the duck lady.

19. As a Vancouverite, here's my two bits:

Stanley Park - it's a large park located in the northern part of downtown Vancouver. It's rather large and most of the sites (totems poles, Prospect Point, the beaches) are at different points. It's easier if you have a car and can drive from point to point. Or, you can walk around the Stanley Park on the infamous Seawall but that will take a couple hours, I think.

Oh ya, the Vancouver Aquarium is also located in at Stanley Park.

http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/parks/parks&gardens/stanley1.htm
    http://www.vanaqua.org/

Playland / PNE - The Pacific National Exhibition starts on Aug. 17. It's a fair - cool stuff like lumberjack competitions, demolition derby (hopefully), showmarts, music shows...good stuff. The PNE and Playland are located in Hastings Park. Playland is really fun but it will be crowded. You gotta ride the rollercoaster at least once. I think the PNE costs $8 admission and an all-day ride pass at Playland costs $28. The ride-pass is better than the tickets 'cause you'll want to ride a lot once you start going.

http://www.pne.bc.ca/
    http://www.pne.bc.ca/playland/

Capilano Suspension Bridge - it's a long suspension bridge. Not much fun unless you have a fear of heights, like I do. Then it's pure HELL. While you're out in that direction, take the bus to Grouse Mountain and take a lift to the top. If you feel like exercising, try the Grouse Grind - a tough 1.5hr hike up the mountain. Don't try it unless you want to sweat a lot. However, on top of Grouse Mountain, you get an awesome view of Vancouver and there is a daily lumberjack show, I think.

http://www.capbridge.com/
    http://www.grousemtn.com/

Canada Place - it's a convention centre. Unless you are attending a business conference, there is absolutely nothing to do there. HOWEVER, there is an IMAX theatre right behind it, if you want to take in a flick. It's located downtown though, close to other good stuff though.

http://www.imax.com/vancouver/

Science World / Omnimax - On a related note, you can check out the Omnimax theatre at Science World. Lots of fun interactive exhibits...I go there once a year.

http://www.scienceworld.bc.ca/newstuff/proto/info/index2.php3?bn=MSIE&rz=800*600&cd=16

Metrotown - It's the largest mall in Vancouver. Lots of shopping, you could easily blow a few hours there. There is also a Silvercity Megatheatre there and an arcade called Playdium.

(Sorry, no website. But it's a major public transit hub so you might pass it anyways. It's the only mall worth visiting for entertainment purposes)

Other interesting places:

Downtown Vancouver - You can easily kill the day there. You will definitely spend a day there. The Tom Lee store is there and the Long & McQuade is 5 minutes away, down Granville street. Also has a Chapters bookstore and a Virgin Megastore. When you are downtown, you should check out Robson Street, Granville Street, and Denman Street, for starters.

Chinatown - Located a couple minutes east of downtown, it's...well...Chinatown. I'm Chinese so at least I feel comfortable down there (I can't speak Chinese at all though). Maybe not your cup of tea?

Steveston Fishing Village - That's where the previously mentioned TallShip festival was. They left on Monday but it's a nice place to kill a few hours. It's a bit out of the way in Richmond.

Granville Island - It's located underneath the bridge between downtown Vancouver and the Long & McQuade on Granville street. It's worth checking out as well as the stores on West 4th Avenue. Granville Island features an open market, a fun toy store (I think it's still there), a brewery (but you're too young) and buskers, especially on the weekend.

** Where you can pick up a Georgia Straight - The Georgia Straight is our urban newspaper that lists all of the cool stuff going down in Vancouver. While you are downtown, you can pick it up practically anywhere. It's in most of the stores or on the street, in newspaper boxes. It's free.

Here's what I recommend:

Downtown Vancouver - includes Granville Island, music stores, and Stanley Park. One day gone, all within walking distance or a 5 minute bus ride. (One day gone)

Playland / PNE - Fun but crowded. Food is a rip-off ('cept the mini-donuts) though. Eat after riding the rollercoaster though. (One afternoon gone)

Metrotown / Science World - I recommend the two simply because they are both conveniently located on the Skytrain route. (One long afternoon gone)

--- Okay, I'm tired. Sorry about the long rant but hey, gotta plug Vancouver. If you need help planning out your routes and interpreting the public transit system, send me a private message and I'll figure out how to get you where and approximately how long it will take. If you have any other questions, send me a private message for that too.

20. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    How is the music scene in Vancouver guys? I'm currently thinking of moving there. Is anyone here from the U.S. thats living there and how does the whole visa thing really work?
    I guess with all that said hows the job market and does anyone wanna give me a job?:confused: ;) :p