I'm gonna do it!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    After a 17 year absence, I'm going to get a bike! I'm going to take a riding course to brush up on things. Right now, I'm trying to decide between something with 500 cc's and 600-650 cc's. Help a rodent out all you bikers out there.
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I thought you were going to join limp bizkit as the new frontman.

oh well, one day right :D :p

have fun with your biking, my brother is a big bike guy, street and dirt, he has a 2 bikes right now, that just won 1st and 2nd place at a local auto show.
  3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I'd say it depends on what kind of bike you want. If you want a sport bike, I wouldn't go with anything under a 600, but if you want a street bike, I've seen some respectable 500s recently. Performance and all is nice to look at on paper, but most importantly of all, make sure the bike fits you. Don't go out and look for bike X because it's got this much more power, or it's that much cooler looking.
    That said, I LOVE my Yamaha FZR600r. I've posted pics of it in past bike threads, but I'll probably do it again here when I get home.
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    In the great tradition of TB, I'm gonna say "Get one like mine!"

Yamaha Dragstar, I believe they're called the V-Star in the USA. It's 650cc V-Twin and in the 4 years I've owned it, I've delevoped a real love affair with the thing.

Were you looking at cruisers styles bikes? Or are you more of a sports bike person?
  5. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Where's tufnuts when you need him?

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:
  6. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I just got a bike myself this summer. Its a Yamaha 550GL. Ive never riden a bike before and I fear I may break myself.
  7. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    I think you want one of these:
  8. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    I'm a goose. Ahem....One of.....these:
  9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

And I thought the thread was about you buying Limp Bizkit's latest!
  10. Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    a lil' more than 600, but its great...

11. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Want something different? Get a Chang Jiang! Sidecar optional :D

12. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    You need to get yourself one of these. Its no 500cc but..

*beep beep*

13. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've narrowed it down to 3. Suzuki GS500, Suzuki GSX Katana 600, and the Kawasaki Ninja 500 - 600. I'm not looking for the ultimate in speed, just a nice bike that could break 100 mph if I needed it to.
  14. knight

Nov 3, 2002
    I don't know how popular they are in this country, but have you considered a Honda Hornet? They have the engines of the CBR series (tuned down slightly). Nice ones.

15. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    <BR><BR>I don't think you would be unhappy with any of them. All sweet little bikes :p<BR><BR>
    <BR><BR>I second this vote. Fantastic little machines and a lot of fun. They also do a 900 version with a de-tuned FireBlade engine in it. Yum. :D
  16. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Aww come on, you are not even considering a Harley?
    I know its a completely different type of bike, but for comfort and just looking freaking cool, you cant beat a Harley.
    I admit I am biased, I am from Milwaukee, the home of Harley.
  17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    At this local car show, my brother won 1st and 2nd place with these two bikes.

Beau's bikes
  18. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I owned a Kawa for years, and was always impressed with the engineering and reliability.
    I also think they had a better sense of gearing and where the torque curve is. My Kawa had
    excellent low end torque, which I recommend for street riding.

I would take a serious look at the Kawasaki.

Mine was a 1000 LTD, one heck of a machine.
    But like all bikes, you need to have a very healthy respect for it.

Enjoy, and live to ride.
  19. XxBassmanxX

Nov 21, 2001
    Rosman NC
    I like the old ones my self (Triumph Daytona fully restored) but Id love to get behind a CBR 929...

20. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I test rode one, but it wasn't the 600. It was the bigger one, 900 I think but I'm not sure. I had trouble keepig the front wheel on the ground. If wheelies are your thing, this bike MUST be considered. Also the Suzuki Bandit.

I've also ridden a Kwaka Ninja 600 briefly and loved it. Excellent bang for your buck. That much perfornmance for so little money is unheard of, but they're a handfull in the wrong hands..... and it won't go slow - it has a personality of it's own. The faster you go, the better the bike performs. That can be a bad thing.