Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Im gonna feel like such a newbie...here goes

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by aleyman, Nov 1, 2002.

1. aleyman

aleyman Guest

Nov 1, 2002
    PA
    Ok, i'm new to this, so give me a break, k?

Well, i got a fender squire bass, and on the white part (im so descriptive, arn't I?) there this annoying sort of plastic wrap stuff. is this important?can i peel it off? its starting to bug me.....

And another question. when im doing slideing stuff it makes this unhappy scrathing noise when i slide along the string. Is that normal? i'm just teaching myself (this websites my new homepage) and i don't know a lot of stuff about this. I just picked up a bass, really liked it, and decided to get one. that was like 2 months ago i think... ok thanks a lot.

2. Ok here goes:

The "white thing" is the pickguard, and yeah get rid of the plastic.
    and...
    By sliding do you mean sliding frets or pick sliding? If its frets then i dont know why its scratching. Pick slides, however, are supposed to sound like that. Hope this helps.

Jason

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Welcome. TB will soon be your new best friend!
    That plastic crap on the pickguard...you can peel that off. It's mostly there to protect the pickguard from being scratched while the bass in hanging in the store being played by god knows who or what.
    The "scratching" noise...that's from the roundwound strings. See how they have a round wrap going around the strings? The little space inbetween the wraps is what's causing that noise when you move your fingers along them. If you really hate it you can try some flatwound or tapewound strings. Check over in the strings forum for TONS of advice.
    Welcome again! :)

4. Hi!
    Congrats. You got the same bass as me. Well, that plastic wrap isn't important I ripped it off pretty quickly too. Well, good luck with your new bass and I hope you enjoy the world of bass as much as i do. See you on the boards..

Mike :)

5. aleyman

aleyman Guest

Nov 1, 2002
    PA
    OK thanks a lot.

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Welcome to talkbass Aleyman.

7. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Oh the exuberance of youth!! I agree on this site will be your best friend. Just don't let all the exotic burl tops intimidate you. They get plugged in the same way your Fender Squire does!;)

8. And the strings get plucked the same way.;)

Disclaimer: unless of course you really don't like your bass and play it with less than all your love.
    In this case a bass that you truly love, that makes you "want" to play will sound better.

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah - but it's a Squier not Squire - that's the first thing to know, if you don't want to remain a newbie all your life! ;)

11. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Erm...I'm too late to answer your questions...

But welcome anyway...

12. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Welcome to TalkBass - I see the other's have already answered your questions!!

Anyway - enjoy, this site is great for learning about all things bass!:)