Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm gonna lift my truck... if I can work out a few kinks.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Its a 1992 Xtra Cab SR5 Toyota 4X4 pickup (Eat your heart out, nickthebassist :p)

Its riding stock right now, on 31x10 tires with 15" wheels.

Basically, I want a 3-4" lift, and 34x10 tires.

Why? it looks bitchin'... and i wanna do the Rubicon.

The only problem is that I do not want to kill my gas mileage.

Re-gearing? Changing differential ratios? what can i do?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I just had to accept that as part of the price of looking cool. :cool:

Seriously....in my case, the cost of changes to improve gas mileage were not worth it to me. I just lifted my Ford and deal with the cruddy gas mileage.

-Mike

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If you do a lot of freeway miles, your mileage will improve with the bigger tires. I suppose in city driving, the higher (effective) gearing will put a little extra strain on the drive train, including the engine.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    poser

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Do you really think there's anyone still here who doesn't know what kind of truck you have at this point? Let me guess...is it white? :smug:

Then don't lift it, because that's the only way you're not going to kill your gas mileage.

brad cook

6. Why don't you lower it 3", put some 13" spokes onnit, and a one-piece tonneau? Make the bitch hop. THAT's where it's at babe.

;)

7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Easiest and cheapest way to lift your truck is a body lift. But, ime you're going to need more than 3-4" to fit 34" tires. You'll probably need closer to 7" on a Toyota to fit 34's.

You could do a 3" body lift and a 4" suspension lift, and they'll fit. (We fit 35x12.50's on an 87 Toy with 7" lift) Problem is, the suspension lifts for IFS Toyota's is expensive, and not exactly a DIY job without decent tools and experience with torsion bar suspensions.

There is another way to fit larger tires without the suspension lift.......cutout fender flares. You cut the wheelwells up and put larger flares on them, which esentially just opens the wheelwell for a larger tire.

You will need to re-gear for the larger tires. Stock you probably have 4.10's, and I would want to see something like 4.88's or better (maybe even 5.13's) for a 34" tire. The more gear the better when you have a small engine.

And, if you want to do the rubicon, plan on installing lockers both front and rear, a winch, a rollcage, rocker protectors, etc.......

Wanna play, plan on big bucks to do so. And crappy gas mileage to boot.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    haha, he said you have a small engine. :smug:

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  10. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    LMAO...There's a guy on there who's got some "Bran New" gears he's looking to sell. I'm not sure how much he wants for them tho, but lets face it, He doesn't either... Yet!!!

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Amen Mike. I accepted this fact before I even called the 4x4 shop to buy the parts.

This thread reminds of one of the ones in amps where someone asks about a super light weight, massively high powered amp for around $500 or less. :D :D

-Mike

12. ....well??? are you gonna tell us which amp fits those criteria or what?

Mike

13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    I could get through the rubicon with my current set up... they can get a stock 4x4 fresh off the lot through it. you just have to drive around the crazy stuff.

when/if i go, i will be going with my uncle who has a decked out jeep. I'd be the support vehicle, pretty much. tools, spare parts, gas cans, etc... and i would work my way around the nutty stuff.

14. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Remember Mike

Straight back

Bend at the knees

You may want a spotter for this

15. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

:D

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hold on......what's a Rubicon? I thought it was the Jeep that Lara Croft drives??? :confused:

-Mike

17. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    jewel convention???

:confused:

:smug:

18. Rubicon: an 80's fad / cube-puzzle convention.

I just used to take mine apart...some peeled off the stickers...

19. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Not to mention longer pittman arms and suspension upgrades. I did this with a Ford Ranger 4" body and 7"suspension. It was fun but alot of work. The 33's worked well with a 4.56.

Like Mike said...BRING MONEY!!!!

Mike

20. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California

i cant tell if your joking. :p

Its only the most bad ass jeep trail in the continental US.