1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm gonna tear the frets off a beater!

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by Gyoon, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Gyoon

Gyoon

Nov 12, 2004
    Toronto, Ontario
    I figure it's time to get my fretless playing together. A producer friend of mine suggested it as a very useful and valuable skill in the studio.

Any tips you can share on getting started? I think I've seen a picture or two of you holding a Wal fretless.

Glenn

2. janekbass

janekbass

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Founder and CEO of http://janeksbassstudio.com
    well if you're ripping the frets out of a bass you'll have some nice fret markers left in the neck. So this will help you stay in tun e alot more. Aside from just working all the studio you do on a fretted bass I'm not sure I have a lot to offer on the subject.

The demand for me to play one was so little that I sold mine a couple of years ago, and if I need one for a session now I'll have the producer rent it.

Easy,

Janek

3. buddyro57

buddyro57 me and PJ (living with the angels now)

Apr 14, 2006
    Cedar Falls Iowa
    Hi Janek, first off, your technique is such that you can get a really nice lyric & legato sound, then very articulated when you need it, so there's no need to play fretless...
    I have been watching your clips on Youtube. I am an old guy- playing for 40 years; I have to say that your playing is very inspiring to me- and i thank you for that.
    Very nice sounding group with Randy Brecker and that amazing bass trumpeter- wow- (not to leave out the rest of the band!) That is where improvised music is headed.
    Jon Schwabe