1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm graduating!...sort of...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Sheep Man, May 8, 2006.

1. Tomorrow I take the last final of my undergraduate career.
    As a sociology major.
    Then on Friday, I get to wake up nice and early for commencement.
    Then on Saturday I get to go home to Hong Kong.

And then on June 19th, classes start for my 2nd bachelor's degree in occupational therapy.

If all goes according to plan, in 3 years you can all call me Dr. Sheep Man, and I should be able to address many bass-related injuries or inconveniences, and work with your kids, too!

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Congratulations... sort of...

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Cool. Congrats, great news!

I graduated two Decembers ago with a BS in Geography. Today, I just found out I got accepted to a grad certification program (halfway to MS) in GIS. I will start this fall.

4. :D

Congratulations Mr Man.

5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    props for being a sociology major. i took intro to sociology first semester, boring as all hell.... might have just been my professor though.

congrats though. i just finished my first year as an undergrad with a major in criminal justice with a minor in psychology. it's not easy work, and is something to be proud of.

6. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Sort of? Do YOU have a PhD?

Im proud we have intelligent bassists, anyways. congratulations!

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    No. but I once had a STD.

8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    How can you be called a "Dr." without a doctrate degree? Anways congrats on your success. Maybe I'm a bit of an elitist or snob, but if there's anything I respect, it's education.

Two more years of undergrad, then it's off to the exciting world of graduate school in existentialist pyschology for me. :bassist:

Edit: In related news, I just found out I got an A in chemistry, which is the hardest course I've ever taken.

9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    :confused:

where does med school figure into this plan?

10. Hah.
    I said "if all goes according to plan," right?

That plan is as follows:
    1 year for a BS in OT
    1 more year for an MA
    then 1 more year for the OTD.

So, if that works out for me, then in 3 years you can all call me Dr. Sheep Man. :p

11. The OT program won't let you start the MA without getting a second BA first? That's ridiculous, and very expensive to boot.

12. No, I can go straight to the MA if I want, but since it's a 2 year program, my dad said, "If it takes the same amount of time to get 1 degree or 2, why not go for 2?"
    So...since he's paying the bills, that's what I'm doing. :p

13. Ah, OK. I can see why having two BAs might be nice: my brother stuck around UIUC an extra semester so he could get the extra units necessary for a BA in math and a BA in finance, rather than having just one degree and two majors.

14. Yeah, but the difference in this case is that it's a BA and a BS, so the only way I can do it is by getting a double degree as opposed to a double major. Or at least, that's my understanding of the situation. All I know is that I'm allowed to do this after I got a call back from the office of degree progress. :p

15. BANE of my EXISTENCE.

16. Congrats!

I just finished up third year sociology, and I am so sick of it. Not sure if its worth sticking around an extra year for.

And good luck with getting a PhD!!

17. Tee hee!
    Silly hero, I said nothing about a PhD, I'm hoping to get an OTD. :p

18. Yes, leave the PhDs to those of us with the smugness necessary to earn them.

I would use a smug smiley here but I honestly cannot, not after the case incident.

19. Someone said PhD somewhere in this thread. I ran with that thought...probably a bit too far, and someone locked the doors. Can I get back in?