Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm guessing this is a bad thing :/

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DCman, Dec 19, 2002.

1. DCman

DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    UK
    Hey guys :)

I got out my old fretless earlier today to re-set it up and to have a play (for old times sake hehe). I came to doing the truss rod, and found that it has completely stuck. It wont move either way to the point that the allen key bends rather than the rod adjusting....

Any ideas on a safe way to sort this out? The bass is a copy of a Fender Jazz....

Thanks

DC :)

2. Hmm... Is the nut on the end of the neck, or in the head stock?

If it's in the head stock, I don't know what could be a safe way to go about it...

On the other hand, if it's on the bottom of the neck, you could try putting some WD40 or or other lube-oil on the nut, and see if that slackens it up.

Doing this on the headstock means the wood might soak up the oil.. which I don't think would be good..

Hope you get it sorted :)

3. If you spray it on the nut and let it soak in for 5 mniutes it should be alright. Just dont be excessive.

:D:D

Merls

4. DCman

DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    UK
    Thanks guys. Got it sorted in the end. Found that the tension on the neck was just enough to allow me to loosen the truss rod slightly (hardly anything tho) by slightly bending the neck in the way that I wanted it to go (probably not healthy for it, but it seemed to work and the bass isnt any worse off..... i think :rolleyes: ). It freed it up and allowed me to tighten it to how I wanted it...

But the WD40 was out too ;) hehe

Thanks again.

DC :)