I'm guessing this isn't good...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cjgallen, May 24, 2003.

1. cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    So the sound on my WT-400 has been cutting off occasionally. I though maybe I need to replace the tube.

I popped it open just to take a look.

I thought maybe it was a glue of some sort to keep the caps separated, but I don't know. I've never seen a capacitor leak, is this what it looks like?
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i dunno
    i recently had to replace the tube in my 400 as it was cutting on and off like you said
    try running thru another preamp and plugging it into the return jack or your 400 - if it works its definitely the tube or preamp
    anyhow, my 400 just chewed up the new tube so i'm sending it to eden to see what the real problem is - (but it's somewhere in the preamp)
  3. I don't think your capacitor leak because when there's a problem with a capacitor it blows or make a lot of smoke it don't leak
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    that looks more like yukky hair on the capacitor...:eek:
  5. I think it's glue, not to keep the caps separated but actually to keep them glued together so they won't vibrate as much. Heavy components such as caps put a lot of stress on solder joints.

Althugh capacitors do leak, usually they leak from the other end. There's often a hole there so if the cap explodes, the innards will go out the hole in a controlled failure.
  6. Yep. That cap is toast and so is the one next to it. They're leaking. Keep playing the amp and they'll explode leaking even more yucky electrolyte which will EAT through the IC's on the board. Tech time. Right now, it's a simple repair if that's all that's wrong with it.
  7. We posted at just about the same time! Eden's glue doesn't look like that; it's more of an epoxy
    that resembles hot melt glue more than anything.

I've seen lots of bad caps "grow hair" out the top and every one I've ever seen blow goes out the top, too. A lot of modern caps have a double coated seal, so that even if they blow, there's a "trashcan-lid" effect where the whole top lifts off.
  8. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Repairing it is a good idea. I'd also want to know what caused it so it doesn't happen again.
  9. Yeah, I took a second look at the pic and you're probably right, PBG, it does look like it's leaking. My first thought was hot melt glue (with just some fuzz on it), that's what I use.

If it is indeed leaking, don't get the stuff on your fingers, it's caustic.
  10. cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    Well, the substance is hardened, would it still be sticky or wet if it were leaking?

It almost seems like someone squirted hot glue down between them and got the tip too close. I dunno, I emailed the pictures to eden tech support. If I don't get a response I'll give them a call Monday.

I remember hearing a crackling sound. I thought it was just the tube warming up (but it was after I had it on for a while :meh: ). Now I don't remember whether the sound was coming from the speakers or the amp :confused:

I haven't turned it on since I discovered this. Guess I'll have to drag out my 25W practice amp :(
  11. Capacitor electrolyte sometimes hardens; it's the same stuff that's in a battery. Don't touch it! It's caustic and could cause a burn.

With bad filters, it could be either or both.
  12. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    thick black smoke pouring from the amp vents is always a bad sign.............:p