Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i'm having a "baby"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by C-5KO, Jun 7, 2005.

1. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    [​IMG]

I've been selling/saving years for this... this is the walnut top/back.

Elrick 6 string classic, singlecut, wenge neckthru, bart soapbars, ebony fretboard.

2. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Wow, AWESOME!

Congrats man!

:)

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ooh...I've never seen an Elrick in progress before....keep us updated! The only thing on my GAS list is an Elrick e-volution singlecut six-string with Bart soapbars. We have similar tastes :D

4. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    How did I know you'd be all over this! ;)

I've asked him to keep me posted with updates. I'll let you know what he says. I'm hoping he'll keep me/us in the loop.

I just sent the pic to my gf, and she says:

"I can see the silhouette of a person meditating in the lotus position and a crazy monkey bat face right underneath it. I like it!"

Funny how you sort of miss these details when you're excited. I looked at it, and tried to figure out which way he was going to align the body!

5. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I'm shocked! He hates Elricks!

I can see the meditating person, but it looks more like a wolf face underneath it to me.

Be sure to keep us all up to date on it :D

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Wow. That's a nice hunk of wood!

7. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    That was the first thing I noticed about it.

I like reading bass-in-progress threads and am curious to see how yours comes out.

8. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
  9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's quite pretty- it'll be nice if Rob can maintain some of the greenish undertones in the ripply parts and the burls at the bottom. Are you getting the normal wax finish? Are your other two Elricks Classics, or have you tried the e-volution and not liked it?

I hope he doesn't decide to use your outline as the router template :D

10. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    LOL. Freehand mouse template.

Not exactly sure how those parts will come out. He said that some of that is insect damage, so the resin will fill it up, and soak the sawdust into it. I'm guessing those greenish parts will probably be more blackish with the finish. I asked a long time ago for a hard finish, but he said that he doesn't do that. This was with my first bass. Then when I received it, I was glad that he kept to his normal finish. So, for this bass, I didn't bother asking him for any different finish.

I haven't had a chance to try the e-volution shape. I like the classic shape more though. I think it's just the sharper angles and lines. It's more of a mathematical/geometric thing with me. The e-volulution is more "ergonomic", which is nice, but not me.

The other two are classics, plus, I'm in the middle (actually waiting quite a long time now... :( ) for Joker to send me his 5 with the walnut top. Depending on how much I like it, I may resell it, or sell one of my other 6 strings.

I've never had a 5 before, jumped right to 6 from 4, so it will be an interesting adjustment. I figured with the Canadian dollar being so good right now, it was time to pull the trigger.

11. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Congratulations! I really like those Elricks. I think they are one of the most underappreciated basses out there. It should be real nice. I went from a four to a six two years ago. Just put your four down for about a month and only play the six. You'll be able to gig confidently within two weeks if you do that.

12. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    There's actually a bass pictured on his site with a hard finish (I think it's the singlecut 8-string), but that's the only one, besides that painted silver one, that I've seen without his wax finish. If I could manage to sell a painting or two now, I'd be all over one of your basses if you sell. Ah well. :) I did just get a new credit card though.....;)

One of the sad things about his basses is that no one ever gets to see them. He doesn't really maintain the website (which is understandable as he's really busy), so there's no online record of a lot of his basses. And since he does so much custom work, those basses won't ever get to be seen by the public unless the owner is active on the internet, and obviously many of them aren't.

13. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    If you mean the singlecut walnut e-volution 8 string... man that one is really beautiful. I sort of wanted to base this one off of that one. With a wenge neck also.

Every once in a while I'll google an "Elrick", and see what comes up. Most of the pics that I catch are ones off websites that have his basses for sale. Or I'll keep an eye out on ebay too.

When I asked about an updated price list, he told me that he wanted to get his sight more up to date, but didn't have the time, or the guy that was doing it for him, didn't. Either way, I think he's aware that it's in need of a little maintenance... he just has to find the time... (AFTER my bass of course ;) )

I really like the che-chen singlecut classic 5 string too!

14. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    That sure is looking good.

Can't wait for the finished product :)

15. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's got a figured back, as well?! I haven't seen a singlecut of his that did before-it looks great!

16. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I can't wait either!

Rob said he usually doesn't do figured backs for the singlecuts. I'm guessing for this bass he made an exception as we talked about it 4 years ago.

I love how the rings of the figure are centered in the body.

17. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm jealous! That has the makings of a sweet sweet machine! Oh Yeah!

18. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I'd post pictures of my bass that was supposed to arrive yesterday, but apparently the shipping company doesn't know where it is.

I'm supposed to check back later this afternoon. They're going to "track it", they said. :eyebrow: Aren't these things supposed to be tracked? :scowl:

I've got that hollow feeling in the center of my chest.

If anything is wrong with my baby, heads will roll. :ninja:

19. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Eeeek....this is reminding me of AJ Brown's recent Sadowsky thread....hopefully all will turn out well like his did.