Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm having a crisis with my MIM P!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Squidfinger, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I've had my Fender MIM P for about 3-4 months now. At first I loved it, but now I'm starting to loathe it. The reason, the E string is weak and twangy, no roundness. I know what you're saying, bad string. I just got done putting 4 old E's (2 round, 1 half, 1 flat) on my bass and seeing how they sounded acoustically. They ALL had the same qualities. Low end comparable to the A and some sort of wierd zingy harmonic/overtone thing going on and no roundness. One of the rounds I know I used for about a year, I know there was no zinginess on it. I DISTINCTLY remember playing the E acoustically on my past 3 basses, none of them had this problem. They all sounded just like you'd expect them to sound, a proper step up in depth and roundness from the A.

The A, D, and G (TI Jazz flats) all sound great. Very smooth and round. I checked to see if they were any loose screws on the bass, they were none. The tuner was nice and tight. The nut's fine, the E's saddle is fine. There's maybe only a 10 degree angle on the E at the saddle.

I actually got 2 replacement E's from Steve at the dudepit because I thought the strings were defective. Now it's looking like this might not be the case and I'm gonna have to write him a letter of apology and send him some cash.

Is it possible it's the wood? The problem has been getting to me so much lately it's making me not want to practice. :(

2. I think it's just the construction of it, the way the parts were setup and everything. No two basses are created equally. Now that you are over the initial happiness of having a new bass you begin to see through the novelty and notice things about it that you might not have at first. Maybe a nice setup, or changing a few parts might be in order.

3. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

I was gonna put some new pu's and bridge on it. Since the E is crappy sounding acoustically, I know new pu's won't help. Maybe a Badass II will help, but I doubt it'll totally fix the problem. :scowl:

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

doesn't sound optomistic regarding the acoustic aspect. Never had anything like that myself but, to a great degree, the neck is the bass. And I know from swapping a neck that much of the tone of a bass will follow the neck. You migt try checking to make sure the neckscrews are snug. Seems new basses have lots of loose parts these days. Tapping on the pup poles of the E just to make sure. Anything you can think of that's easy and cheap without making an assumption it's not something.

If you haven't tried a search for something similar, you might give it a go. I'd suggest a posting in the Luthier forum but they don't appreciate double posting but you could probably get it moved if you have no luck here. Could be there's something in the construction of the neck that cancels the harmonics of E string but you definetly want to rule other possibilities before giving it up. You might even stick an A string in the E position tuned to an A and see what you get. At least that would tell you something about the harmonics.

5. It may be the way you are winding the string on the tuning peg. After you put the string in the hole of the tuning peg, hold the string to the headstock while winding the string & see if this helps.

6. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

I already do that.

7. Why, did you lose its green card? FOR SHAME!

Badoom ching!

I'm here all week folks...