Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm having ALOT of trouble getting my hands to work independently

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by fr0me0, Jan 23, 2006.

1. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    So that video of George smed inspired me to do some tapping. Never tried it before and I'm not really having much trouble with the actual tapping part. I am having alot of trouble getting my hands to work separately. I can do the hammer ons and pull offs and I can do the tapping. But together it just isn't happening

I've tried getting into the grove with the left hand then trying to start the right hand. the second I do the left hand just stops movin. I can play the parts seperatly til I'm blue in the face, but I don't really see it helping cause the real problem is playing the two different things at the same time, Curious what kinda of approach people took to overcome this obstacle?

2. 1) Don't try to play counterpoint intuitively - count it out. It may be tough at first, but if you learn the both the parts counting each as you play them, you can intergrate them together discovering the notes on each hand that are played simealtaneously. After you have the piece well practiced with counting, you can then play more naturally.

2) If you are still struggling, try something with an easy rhythm.

It's not easy, so good luck!

3. Try working on Victors "More Love". That song is fun and so pretty to play. It also helps in finger and LH and RH independance.

4. EmmSee

EmmSee

May 23, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Work verrrrryyyy slowly and as a poster said above, count it out. That might help...

You'll get it, it's all about muscle memory, if you work on a simple line slowly enough until you have it down SLOW... you can then work it up to speed and start trying out more complicated lines.

My myspace page (link below) has a Stu Hamm tapping thing, it's real simple once your fingers know where to go.

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    One of the best ways to get the LH and RH rhythms independent of one another is to put down the bass and to tap out the rhythms only (no individual fingers or fingerings) on your thighs.

Agreatheight's suggestion is a good one. If the parts are heavily syncopated, try to count aloud while you're doing this, and track where the accents on the LH and RH lie relative to one another.

6. learn "linus and lucy" it helped me