I'm having major Fretless GAS , Sterlling!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowmid, Jan 3, 2006.

1. lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    I've recently listened again to the mars volta's last epic, Frances the mute and it has again arised my fretless gas!!!Juan rocks the party with his old fender P with epoxy fretless neck

Plus, a great electric cello player which uses his cello as a double bass and an electric guitar( with samplers going around)

Still, i'm a kind of MM fan although I dont have one, And I'd like to know your input about a fretless lined sterling and my project of having the neck of it custom epoxyed by thor guitar lab, is it worth it?? is the sterling a good fretless bass??? which strings???? I love the grungy tone Juan has on the album with his P bass but I know he also has a quite overdriven sound comming from his ampegs/compressors and several OD pedals

my key tone would be the one he has on cassandra gemini/tarantism, etc the little OD'ed fretless bass tone

any info would be great!!!

and oh, fretless owners, show your fretlesses especially if they're sterlings!!!
  2. ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    A bump after forty minutes? Relax! Somebody will come along. In the meantime, do a search.
  3. lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    is the sterling a good fretless or are fender better??? or just different
  4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I own both a fretless Sterling and a fretless P-bass.
    The Sterling has a jazz type neck 1 1/2 nut.
    And pickup has 3-way switch like SR5.
    Well made, eazy playing, with musicman sound.
    The P-bass, mine is a 1974 fretless-stock.
    Classic p-bass sound, 1 3/4 nut.
    I like the bigger neck, can dig in more, when I play.
    More sound options on Sterling, but I love the one sound of the percision.
    Both a great basses.