1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm having some buyer's remorse-Aria content

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Uncle K, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I've been GASing for a medium scale bass for close to a year now. I should be saving my money for other things, but temptation got the better of me and I bought an Aria Cardinal CSB-300 on eBay. Immediately after paying I started having second thoughts. Neck dive seems like an issue, and I hate the color. But I hear these basses are extremely well made and I dig the Pixies "Gigantic" tone.

Anyway, I feel like I just made a $300 mistake, guess I'll just have to wait and see. Can anyone help relieve my anxiety?

2. Relax. Wait until you get it, then see how you feel. You may fall in love with it when you play it. If not, it should not be too difficult to sell it since it is only $300. Worst case is that you lose a little bit of money, best case is that you discover that you found the best bass you ever bought for only $300.

3. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I agree. A medium scale especially takes some time and some personalization to really get into it. It either will or won't fall into place for you.

I used to own an Aria (not medium scale) and it was a well made bass, but not to get you down any further, I somehow could never get it where I wanted it to be. So I sold it. Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you.

4. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    I had an Aria short scale "beatle" bass...sold it because I wanted something else. Big mistake! It played well was well constructed. Now, I can't seem to find one under $500 I'd say try it , ignore the color (if it has the sound and feel you like)

5. I have a CSB-450 and you'll be surprised at how little it dives. Don't get me wrong- it will dive a little, but it's no T-Bird. You'll find the strap pin has been cleverly located on the inside of the upper cutaway and it helps to keep the bass closer to playing position.

And most of them are incredibly light. Mine is a set neck version with a carved top.

Don't worry about it until you have it in your hands. That's just wasted anxiety.;)

POST A PIC WHEN YOU GET IT!

6. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Try not to worry. Wait until you get it to fully assess whether or not it's a keeper. If not then flip it. On the plus side you spent 300 and not 3000. Personally I dig the finish and think it's going to look better than in the photos.

7. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Try it for a while. If you don't like it I'd bet you have no problems selling it on Talkbass.

Dan K.

8. Uncle K

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    You bet! and thanks for the link.

9. Uncle K

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    OK, it got delivered yesterday, here's the pics I promised
    SDC10526_zps9941718f.
    SDC10524_zpsf4570004.
    SDC10523_zpsa1f73885.

First off, I am absolutely stunned by the craftsmanship of this bass, it feels solid as a rock. It came set up with really low action without any annoying fret buzz, and has a pretty cool old school, thumpy tone. It's in really good shape for a 30+ year old bass too, just some buckle scratches on the back. It really is a great instrument. Despite all that, I'm not really bonding with it. The neck is a lot bigger than I prefer, and it feels like I'm playing a full scale bass. Neck dive is an issue while standing, and while sitting I don't like the way the bottom cut-out rests on my leg. Also the side mounted input jack kinks my guitar cable against the couch. I guess I'll give it a few more weeks before I decide to sell it, but it will be hard to top my Mustang.

10. I'm another CSB-450 owner. Mine doesn't have neck-dive, but hangs parallel to the floor on the strap.

I would give the bass some time before you make a move that you might regret later. Seller's remorse is a thing too.