1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm having trouble finding a band....I'm getting desperate....

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by snow_storm, May 7, 2006.

1. snow_storm

snow_storm

Apr 14, 2006
    Texas
    So, so far I've tried out for 4 bands so far.:hyper: (I'm 18)

1st audition:(guys in their 20s) the easy let down-we weren't into the same music which was fine with me.-kinda expected the result.

2nd audition: (guys 18 to 28)offered the position right away (I'm a quick learner at songs and they had basslines already written I learned 6 by the next practice) I ended up accepting because I'd never been in a serious band before and was excited but ended up leaving the next week for personal reasons.-wasn't fully into it.

3rd audition:(guys 16 to 18)Guys were very ambitious and easy to get along with but weren't very experienced and kind of goofy acting. Plus the didn't "know how" to jam.I got offered that position right off but didn't accept because I didn't want to drive 3(1.5 one way) hours for every pracitice.

4th audition: (16 and 17)These guys were the ones i feel fit me the best of all the audtions and it was the most recent. They are easy to get along with, but take their music (in my opinon) a little too seriously for their age. They are really talented and dedicated, plus play upbeat music I enjoy. Problem is, I don't know how I came across after tryout-we played 3 songs i played them someof my stuff and we listened to some music, but after this they told me they were gonna see who else responds to their ad and see if there's someone better.:crying: (which i understand-i've only played 7 mos) even though they said they thought i was "damn good".

So now the question I need answered is this: Do I audition for other bands, try to wait for the yes from the 4th one, or in general, what steps do I take to find a band that's right for me?:help:

2. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Keep auditioning, I'd say, and if the fourth one comes through (which it sounds like they won't), then go with that.

Just be lucky that there are bands to audition for in your area--there aren't really any 'round where I am.

-Dash

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    And keep practicing.

4. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    Get used to it...

As a general rule musicians are jerks. Put 4 or 5 in a room and its just gonna be difficult.

Keep looking. If you get the call back then great. Even then keep looking. 90% of bands split before their first gig - particularly teen bands. There's always a rinkle - usually a drummer or a singer that isn't working out, or you haven't found yet. Find a great singer, and they'll get poached before you find a drummer. You get it together and someone quits to go to college or get married or something - it's just how it is.

I chased ad's for ALL of last year. One band almost happend but fell apart. In the end I got a call from a guitarist - my wife photographed his wedding, and put in a good word for me! It does work out in the end.

When you find something that works grab it, and appreciate it.

Ian

5. Bo_H

Bo_H

Jul 2, 2004
    Keep auditioning, you'll get a bite.

6. Fro0d

Fro0d

May 7, 2006
    Believe it or not, Cincinnati is turning out to be the place to be as a bassist.

You can find something to do EVERYWHERE.

7. mmg

mmg

Nov 7, 2005
    Boston, MA
    you're lucky you're getting auditions. for me i usually get in contact, learn some of their songs, and then they never commit to a time to audition or never return a call or email.

since summer's coming up a lot of bands will be looking to complete their lineup so just keep on the look out, i'm gonna start searching the ads soon too. good luck m8.

8. you're only 18 (just like me).. keep practicing and looking for other bands.. you'll find one eventually.

9. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    ..and bands are desperate for bass players. You will never be desperate to find a band.

10. +1 for continuing to audition. If they're still looking, you should be too.

11. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Definitely continue to look. I didn't find a great group of guys who were musicians until I was 30.

12. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Keep looking and keep making contacts. Four auditions is nothing. Over the past few months I've auditioned for about a dozen bands, talked to probably ten more and exchanged e-mails with about fifty. About half weren't any good or seemed to prefer losing money to making it. I played a few rehearsals with four bands that managed to fall apart because some members left. I turned down a couple of promising bands because I had something better that then failed to materialize. I also couldn't make one audition because at the time I didn't have a stereo or any other means of listening to mp3s or CD-Rs. In all that there was only one band that didn't want me, not that I would have wanted them either - the guitarist had some odd and very specific ideas about bass and they'd have been better off with MIDI bass...

I'm currently rehearsing with a blues-rock band that seems pretty serious and ambitious, a trad-folk band that's a little disorganized but promising, and I'm also trying to put together a black metal recording project.

13. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    I think it's time to ask yourself a few questions ... because you are at a good point in your life to do that.

You say you are auditioning with several bands ... good step, if you get in one, 1st where do you see the band going and does it fit with where you want to go. This is a hard question as my guess is just the idea of playing with a band seems pretty cool at this point.

Do you want to play what is in your "zone" in other words the popular music of the day, as defined by what you like. I have two daughters in your age range, and I've looked at your "myspace" so I have a pretty good idea of what you listen to.

Which brings me to my next point, IF your serious consider ALL kinds of music, I know of a couple of musicians that by your age were not just playing on a regular basis but out touring. BUT they were playing music that was not considered contemporary to their age group (in this case blues) . What I'm saying is look around ... and see all of what is out there even if it is in areas out of your "zone".

Consider getting with a singer songwriter and learning their stuff, maybe just bass and acoustic guitar . Learn some music theory so you know what notes go with what cord and why. Or a drummer and just jam with them learning to lock in.

Your in a good place to be ... keep on playing ... and consider all your options.

14. snow_storm

snow_storm

Apr 14, 2006
    Texas
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. You're right, I should still be looking, and as of now I am.

Where I want to go with the band I get involved in is pretty easy-all the way...(assuming we make music people want to listen to) I realize it may seem like I don't know much about the music business, which I don't, but I know I enjoy playing more than anything else I do or have done in the time I've been alive. If I can make it a career I will. It makes me happy and seeing as I don't have a million commitments (yet) I am willing to do whatever it takes for this band thing to work out.

I must say I am leaning towards playing in my "zone" as you put it, and that's because I don't think it's fair to other people if I join their group just to have someone to play with and then leave later on due to an opportunity I prefer or sheer bordem. I just don't think I'll be as dedicated and it will undue me in the long run.

Then again, I do like to play with some reggae CDs sometimes...so maybe playing something is better than playing nothing?

The singer/songwriter thing sounds like a good idea...

yeah, i attempt the music theory...heh-heh

and blues is hard...especially I think of you don't know your triads and what not...am I right? i do tabs well, but I've never played blues...

15. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    As I said you seem to be in a good place ...

I don't think anyone would suggest that you not lean towards the music you want to play. After all playing the music you like is probably alot of the reason you started playing in the first place. But consider many of us musician types usually have several "projects" kinda gives you a place to strech out.

As to being a pro at this game ... find out what that really takes to do. A related story ... I have a daughter who is very into photography, and she is very good at it, award winning even, she has her own "zone" of what she likes to shoot, but what she sees as her art, will not necessarily pay the bills. I've told her that as a pro she may have to "gasp" shoot some weddings too.

I wasn't suggesting that you necessarily play "blues", although that is certainly one option, and your right it does take a certain feel, a triad is just learning the three basic notes of a chord and that goes back to the theory thing.
    But explore your options could be reggae, alt country, polka surf music or a Zepplin tribute band.

Sean Costello is one of the people I was talking about, he was touring at 17. A really great and humble guy I might add. Check out his site.

http://www.seancostello.com/

As to being in a band ... three movies that are a "MUST SEE"

"The Commitments" ... Irish soul
    "This is Spinal Tap ... what a classic
    "That Thing You Do" ... Tom Hanks ode to the 60s

From the movie "That Thing You Do" ...

Guy Patterson ... "We've been together two months"

Dell Paxton ... "Some bands I've been in that's two months too long"

Best of luck to you ... Kenny

16. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    Boy I agree with that list!! I would add "Almost Famous" to that list.

17. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Good one ... that makes it four!

18. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    How about "Ishtar"? I thought it was funny...

19. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    dare I utter "Purple Rain"?? nah...not in the same category

20. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Great advice here. Practice. Audition. Practice. Audition. Jam with buddies. Practice. Audition. Buddies will bring in another buddy. Practice. Auditon. Suddenly you hit college. All your buddies will jam with you and you form a band. That's how it works, except you bring the experience of auditioning with other bands to the table.

Plus you say you've only been playing for a few months. Personally, I wouldn't have wanted to be in a band remembering what it was like for me. I SUCKED at 7 months. I still SUCK 16 years later. So the longer it takes for you to find a match, the better as far as all that goes.