Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm having trouble with my EQ

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, Aug 5, 2001.

1. (I couldn't decide which forum to put this in, so I posted it in miscellaneous)

I'm having trouble honing the sound I want with my EQ... when I ask people they'll say "Oh, just play around with it" well I've played around with it for a while and I can't seem to get the sound I want... I don't know which frequencies go for what tone.

BTW, I have a 7-band EQ on a TKO 115...

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think the best advice is always to set everything flat and then work from there. Make small adjustments and if you like it, leave it; if not then set it back to the middle (or wherever is flat on your setup) and try another one.

Over the years, I have found that the sound Im striving for, is in the bass and I tend to leave all my EQs flat - but that's another story.

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    If the sound is muddy, lower the bass mids.

4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i have that amp and these are my setting for the situation

most of the time i have a V shape, with the highs and lows topped out and the mids taken out.

I heard in an interview with the bassist for korn that he plays all mids, so if your into that, play in inverted V with the mids topped out and the highs and lows taken out

Since it is a 15in speaker youi might have trouble with the first setting at high volumes, so heres a suggestion: highs topped out, mids out, lows 75%.

I do have this amp and i might be able to suggest some stuff if you tell me what kind of bass you have and what kind of music you play.

hyperlitem

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Eh!

Everything I've read about this, has said the opposite!!?? Not that I want to start another Fieldy debate! :rolleyes:

6. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    if a korn fan wants to argue they are probably right. I don't play any korn, i just was pretty sure thats what he said in his interview. I don't really listen to them so your probably right. I thought that was a little wierd from what i read becuase every korn sond i hear the bass is all boomy, not high pitched. BUt some good eq suggestions non the less.

7. I'm playing on a PRS Electric bass with high inductance j-style pick ups. The bass has a very growly tone, which is useful because I play rock music.