Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm Headed to the OSU-Texas Game!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tombowlus, Sep 8, 2005.

1. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I had been trying to line up tickets to the Ohio State vs. Texas game for about three years (once I realized that it was on the schedule). However, as it became more clear that I was not going to be able to get them, I decided to sign up for a Red Cross fund-raising event set for Saturday night. Right after I signed up, I was offered tickets to the game (at face value)! Well, as much as I wanted to go, I signed up for a particular time slot that no one else wanted, and I had made a commitment, so I had to decline. Although disappointed that I would not see the game, I felt good about my decision and was looking forward to a successful fund-raising event. Well, a couple of days later, the fund-raiser gets cancelled. :bawl: Actually, it's very unfortunate that it was cancelled, and the reasons for the cancellation were, themselves, unfortunate. But, as it was, it left me a bit bummed...

Well, fate must be looking out for me, because the next day my former roommate at OSU (who is on their faculty and gets seasons' tickets) said that his wife didn't want to go to that late of game, and did I want to go. :hyper: Well, needless to say I said yes, and the beers are on me!!! This has been a fun ride. :D I am looking forward to seeing two excellent teams play one heck of a game!

Go Bucks!!!

Tom.

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I hate you... I live here, & arent going... Ticket prices are substantial, & no matter how tightly I wring my wallet out, the extra money doesnt fall out!

:bawl:

3. There is all kinds of hype for this game, I surely hope it lives up to the expectation.

Oh, and go Texas. :D

4. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I totally envy you.
    When your buddy picks you up, you should clock him over the head and scalp his ticket(they're going for over a grand on the 'bay) and buy yourself a sweet bass... after you celebrate OSU's victory :bag: ...GO BUCKS!!!

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    As a Penn State fan, I hope Vince Young puts on a show and leads the Longhorns to a win over the Buckeyes.

-Mike

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Hey Tom,

Just make sure you get down to campus early & go to the "Skull Session" over at St Johns Arena.

Very Cool! There's soooo much tradition surrounding The Best Damn Band in The Land...

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I hear you there! I spent 7 years getting two degrees from The Ohio State University! Actually, a friend of mine (and lead singer in my band, Gingley JoH) is playing on campus from noon to 2:00pm, so I'll probably try to make it down quite early. We often hit JR Miggs before the game, too. The only problem with a late night game is pacing yourself on the beer consumption! :p

8. OiBass

OiBass

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus,OH
    I live down the street from the "Shoe" (OSU stadium-horseshoe-shaped)-
    I dread football season becouse of the traffic (and I hate football!)-
    (1-plus is I also live down the street from the 5th Ave. Fretshop!)-
    p.s.- Please don't park or pee on my lawn!

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I think that I would get very tired of the football crowd if I lived that close, too. I promise not to pee in your lawn. Instead, I'll go find Phil Maneri's yard! :D

That is cool that you are so close the the Fifth Avenue Fret Shop (and all the great dining options, and brew pubs, and Stauffs, etc.). Phil is a really cool guy, and I always enjoy my trips to the Fret Shop.

Tom.

10. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Ditto... He setup my warmoth pj.

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Tom,

Never, EVER, go to another Buckeye home game... Clearly, your attendance jinxed our team!

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Hey, I've been there for plenty, including the 2002 Michigan victory, so hopefully I wasn't a factor! :p

Even though we lost, I thought it was a very exciting game, and a quality matchup between two great teams.

Hopefully, we can even the score in Austin next year! :D

But hey, at least Michigan also lost, which makes it a bit easier to bear!

Tom.

13. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea...

I'm just dumb founded by the stone hands... Both Smith & Zwick looked fine... but too many catchable balls were dropped.

On the other hand, Texas' QB is a stud!

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yes, Ginn dropping two really surprised me. And Hamby... dear Lord, Hamby!!! I feel for that guy.

Tom.

15. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    my friend is going to OSU this year.

he was at that game.

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, thank you Vince Young and Texas for beating those hosers from OSU, and dispelling the myth that OSU kills Heisman hopefuls when they come to the Shoe!!!

Thank You!!

-Mike

17. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    "Texas Fight"

Texas Fight! Texas Fight!
    And it's goodbye to A&M.
    And we'll put over one more win.
    For it's Texas that we love best.
    Hail, Hail, the gang's all here,
    And it's goodbye to all the rest!

Yea, Orange! Yea, White!
    Yea, Longhorns! Fight! Fight! Fight!
    Yea, Texas Fight!
    Yea, Texas Fight!
    The 'Eyes of Texas' are upon you,
    All the live long day!
    The 'Eyes of Texas' are upon you,
    You cannot get away!
    For it's Texas that we love best!
    Hail, Hail, the gang's all here!
    And it's goodbye to all the rest!

Hook 'Em

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I think much credit goes to the Horns defense for controlling the bleeding on those two turnovers in the first half and then for causing that final fumble at the end.

brad cook

19. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Alot of things contributed to the outcome... D bending, but not breaking, dropped balls, etc...

But, I'm not so convinced that Texas's D was all that great, just that OSU's offense was that inept. Interestingly, Coach Tressel announced today that Troy Smith will start this weekend vs San Diego State...