Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm heading down to the Gulf Coast

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Sep 4, 2005.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I found out this morning that my application has been approved to join a team of construction workers from my area who will be heading down to the Gulf Coast area to assist with re-construction activities. There will be about 15 of us total. My contribution to the team will be drywall hanging and finishing. We will all work together throughout each project.

I am paying my own way down there, and all work I do will be completely voluntary. The only payment I am receiving is a place to stay and food to eat while I am working. Our base of operations is going to be Mobile, Alabama to start off. Not sure on the exact date of departure, but it will be soon. At this time, we are still assessing the amount of damage, and figuring out where to go first so our time there is spent working instead of organizing.

I'm really excited to be able to contribute in this way to the relief effort. On a VERY serious note, if anyone needs some assistance with repairing damage to their home, please PM me. I have never been to this part of the country, so I don't know how far away I will be from everything. If you are near to where we are working, there is a good chance I can make sure you receive some help if you need it.

-Mike

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Mike, thanks.

One of my sisters lives in Mobile, and if there is anything she can do to help, just let me know (PM me and I'll give you my phone number), and I'll get you in touch with her.

Really, thanks for going and doing this. I wish I had a skill I could donate, but I really don't. :(

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    If you know how to swing a hammer, and don't mind working 12-16 hours a day, let me know. I don't know much about the other trades, but I'll be on site to help out. Plus, plenty of need for demo work and cleanup as we go along.

-Mike

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Hey Mike,
    THANK YOU! for coming down to help out. There are some of us down here that are doing wonderfully, and back into the normal groove of things, but others are just totally devastated. My best friend's family is from the MS gulf coast, and lost 5 homes, as well as a few other friends' families. There are alot of crews that will base out of areas like Mobile, but end up working elsewhere, but maybe you'll get to hang around our neck of the woods a bit. If there's anything I can do to help you out, PM me and I'll give my number for when you get down here.

5. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Hey Mike,

Keep in touch while you are there, will ya? I worked for 18 months in the Biloxi/Pascagoula/Gulfport/D'Iberville/Ocean Springs, MS area and also 4-1/2 years in the greater New Orleans/Kenner/Belle Chase area. Of the 75+ people I know well there, I have only heard from five of them since the day before the storm hit.

I have seen satellite images of the neighborhood I almost moved to last year instead of where I am now in Seattle. With one exception all of the houses are just foundations/slabs ready to be built on. Our almost place has about 15 sailboats parked in the back yard to go with the ready-for-building foundation slab.

I sure wish I could be joining all y'all, but there isn't much need for software support just yet.

All the best on your journey!

R

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Thats awesome Mike, you have my deepest respect.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Thanks Rod, Josh, Gard, and Adron!

I will definitely make a lost of phone numbers of TB'ers down that way that I can touch bases with while I am there. I am serious about the offer to help out. Most of our days will be filled up with projects already assigned, but I can make some time on the side to help out others. We have been told to expect 12-16 hour work days, so I don't mind a couple more hours at the end of the day to help out more. I'm going to bring a few cases of Red Bull and Rock Star to keep me moving.

As I said, I have never been to this part of the country so I do not know anyone besides the guys I am traveling with. It would be nice to meet up with some familiar screen names. :D

-Mike

8. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Mike, Thank you, I'm just starting a new job and trying to get back on my feet myself. But I appreciate your service to the country!
    Steve B

9. You're doing a wonderful thing for a lot of people who desperately need it, Mike. Good luck and take care of yourself!

10. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Wow - good for you Mike. What a great thing to do. Keep us posted on how your doing & let me know when you get back.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'm going to be taking a load of supplies with me. Any local TB'ers that want to contribute to a care package for those in distress from the storm, let me know.

-Mike

12. Our church has a group in LA, surveying and determining what we can do. I just cancelled my vacation for next week, and am going to take it the following, and go with the next wave of people to the area. It going to cost me some money, but whatever we can do, it's worth it. I used to be a carpenter, so I think that'll come in handy. Our church does allot of disaster relief, so we know what we're doing.

13. All my respect and all the best for your mission....

Vince

14. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Mike, you rock! Thank you for your efforts, and God bless you!

15. Good luck and thanks for helping out down here. The coast thats two hours away really needs as much help as it can get. Id go, but im too young.

16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Mike, I'm waiting to hear from my father right now, they're in Slidell assessing the damage to both his and my sister's houses. I'm in the "on deck" circle to head down and help them directly, if possible.

Thanks again man, you are doing something extraordinary, and it's greatly appreciated.

17. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    That's awesome Mike... way to go! Best of luck to you and everyone else down there.

18. Good on you man. Bravo! :bassist:

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    WOW! It took me seven months, but I finally got my assignment. A series of personal difficulties, and an employer who wasn't 100% cooperative made me keep delaying it.

I fly out from Seattle on May 28th, and I arrive in New Orleans the morning of the 29th. I leave New Orleans on the 12th of June. I will be stationed in a town called Kenner.

-Mike

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I received a phone call last night from the family I will be staying with when I am down there. I will be staying in Metairie, which is about 20 minutes from where I will be doing the bulk of my work.

I'm starting to get really excited!!

-Mike