1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm hooked

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Coop Soup, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I thought I was retired and sold off most of my gear (killed me to do it and I wish I hadn't), but an opportunity to play a couple of 1 off shows presented itself and I had to get a bass again... not that I wasn't planning on doing that anyway.

I bought a MIM Urge 1 from yodedude2 and got it just in time for rehearsal last night. Holy crap! I thought the fit and finish was excellent, but I was blown away by the sound. I'm not sure if they used standard MIM pickups but they were hot as all get out, especially since they were wired passively. I A/B'd it with the MIM Jazz bass with a set of EMGs that I had been using. The output was actually hotter from the Urge and it gave an outstanding Jazz bass tone. The neck is super playable and tension wise it didn't really feel different even though it's a 32" scale bass. I did notice the slightly shorter scale really helped my tendinitis issues as I left rehearsal pain free (which didn't happen using the Jazz bass). I'm officially sold on medium scale basses.

The only down side is that now I want the MIA model... *sigh* GAS, you dirty son of a gun.

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I have one of these and it is a great bass for the $$$.

I don't gig it, but it is a blast to practice on.

I think a US Stu Hamm Urge II is (for me) the most fuctional bass made. Plus it is all sparkly!

3. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    The neck almost plays itself.

4. I really want the Urge II. I've never even seen the Urge I though.

5. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    MIM Urge 1

100_0001.

MIA Urge 1

attachment.

6. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    looks like you could add a P pickup if you wanted to

7. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    There's certainly room, but I think I'll just wait until I get the MIA model. :)