Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

im hurting my bass!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by A Rock, Feb 14, 2002.

1. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    for over the past yr...i noticed that i was scratchin the would right next to the pickup where i anchor my thumb. now some of the finishing is scratched away.

i just started learning how to slap pop. after a couple weeks of grueling practice..i noticed i scratched up the area right next to the g string where i slap popped.

now there are two area with a lot blemishes.

am i doing something wrong?
    is my wood too soft for me...its an ash body?
    or do i have superhuman nails?..i try to keep em trim most the time.

2. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    if your bass has a natural wood stain or oil finish, then it is not uncommon to carve bits of it out with your fingers and fingernails over the years.... i have a friend with an old tobias that has a massive carving out beneath the g string from popping... and i was starting to do the same to my dearmond until i got my jazz bass... now the pickguard stops my fingernails cold :)

if you have a hard laquer finish and you're making big carvings, then yes you are superhuman... usually in that case, you'd just make mostly invisible scratches

either way, i wouldn't worry about it.... as someone said, it adds character to the bass! uh, unless you want to sell it... then i'd try to be careful!

3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    My Tobias Toby has a "satin" (non-glossy) finish, but above the pickup where I rest my thumb, and between the pickups over the E string where my fingers brush when I pluck the string it has been rubbed shiny. I just look at it as the cost of playing the bass. If I wanted it to look perfect I could leave it in the case, but then what would be the point of having it?

4. I would be proud to have such wear marks on my bass. i means your a player. wear your bass high, and wear it out!

5. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i'm guessing that could be corrected with your technique. ive seen some people who really dig in. i have more of a light slap pop style as i never touch the body when i slap and pop. I can do it just as well as someone that does dig in i'd guess so i guess you could try changing yoiur style if it bothers u. I like my basses to be immaculate, but some people like em all beat up so its a preference thing. you couild try putting a guard or sumting over it to protect it if u wanted though.

6. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    its a ibanez btb..i dunno if its a stain or a oil finish but its not like a hard laquer finish

7. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    i'm not familiar with the "510", but i have seen some BTB's with a satin finish.... where its finished but not hard and glassy... like hyperlitem said, you could probably get it to stop by changing your technique... when i first learned how to slap and pop i really dug in and started carving out a bit of my wood, but after a while i eased up and i only nick it once in a while now.... its up to you... if the marks bother you, then try to go easier on her, but if not i say don't worry about it, it adds flavor to the bass :)