Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm hyperventilating...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Jun 25, 2002.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    ...because I just found one of my top all-time dream basses, and can actually afford it:

[​IMG]

A Steinberger XM2! (Photo lifted - mine's a hardtail.) Another lifted pic, showing just how small these buggers is:

[​IMG]

I found a player: black (most common) with the "normal" EMG pickups and a passive tone circuit. I'd prefer red, but those are rather rare.

I can hardly wait until it's here! I'm afraid to get my hopes up until it's out of the evil grasp of UPS...it shipped today from WA state, so it should be here Monday or Tuesday.

Pantpantpantpantpant...

2. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Awesome. Congragulations :)

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    VERY COOL!!!! Congrats, I hope it's better than you expected!!!!

4. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    Thats nice! Ive always wanted one of those!

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    That's a nice bass, Heavyduty, Congrats.

Give us a review when you can.

6. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Will do. Man, I've always loved Steinie "Butt Basses"!

7. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hoot!

It showed up today in fine shape. It needs a minor repair that I already knew about (a new string jaw), but plays GREAT! It has some good, honest wear, but is not ugly at all. This thing has the fastest neck I've ever handled. And the tone - oohlala!

The seller made a little mistake - it's not a (passive tone) XM2, it's an (active tone) XM2A.

Overall, probably the best...

$375... (snark)

I've spent in a l-o-n-g time.

(Where's that evil grin smiley?)

:D

8. Heavy, are my eyes playing tricks on me, or is there a whammy bar on the end of that bass?

9. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    I saw that also. I cant really see if its connected to the bridge though.

10. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Nope, your eyes are good - but that's not my bass, it's just pics I lifted from the web to illustrate. That's a TransTrem, which is a transposing whammy. Need to play two semitones detuned on all strings? Click, click - you're there and in tune. I seem to recall the range is low B to high C.

Here's a closeup pic from Steinberger World showing a TransTrem bridge which is missing the whammy bar:
    [​IMG]

Mine's a hardtail - I'll post pics after I polish it up and dig out the digicam.

Again, woohoo! The sound of the 80s rides again!

11. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Heavy,

I've owned both an XM-25 and an XL. I think the XM is a much more comfortable bass to play and in general, has a better tone. Additionally, as you found out, they can be had for a better price.

Enjoy,
    Bones

12. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    This has to be the best handling bass I've ever played! Wherever you put the neck, it stays - even with a cheap nylon strap. No neck heaviness at all - totally neutral balance. I love it! (swoons)

13. OOO that thing is COOL! Congratulations, HeavyDuty! What a bitchin instrument! I've always had a thing for Steinies, I'd prefer a black XL2A, however. Seriously, I prefer the tone! And that tiny body, for whatever reason, makes me feel like I can play insanely fast. I'd love to have one some day.

--jeff

14. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I just found one of these on ebay, and I'm thinking about buying it. I am Steinberger stupid, so I have no impressions of the instrument. I am wanting to go headless so this seems like a good idea.

Heavy, what do you think of yours? Weight, balance, description of tone? String spacing? Any info would be great.

Doesn't look like I'll get the same deal you did, unfortunately.
    :bawl:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2523449006&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1

15. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    That's a REALLY clean one, and H-AMX is a great guy - he's a regular over on the Dudepit. If you pop in over there, he'll tell you anything you want to know.

I've never measured my nut ( :D ), but I'm a J width player and this one is comfortable. Steinie necks are a little thicker front-to-back than most, but it's comfortable. Balance is superb, and the body has great contours. Ask H-AMX, but that one looks like it has active EMGs with a passive tone circuit. Mine is actually pretty light, but it feels heavier since it's so small.

Tone is anything you want it to be! Mine does a very nice P imitation, but it's very versatile. Keep in mind this is a maple body with a graphite neck.

Go for it!

16. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    That sounds exactly like what I am looking for (and much less than the new basses I was looking at). I think I'm going to try to get it.

17. hawk92

hawk92

Feb 16, 2012
    I was looking for pics of a bass like mine and there it is! The black Steinberger transtrem! I bought mine back in like 89-90 still play it today! love the sound and playability!