Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Im illiterate Please Help me...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by XPshychoticXPyr, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Well maybe that title dosnt fit as well as it should...

So i have a mesa m-2000 head and i have an ampeg 6x10 and an avatar 1x12 both which run at 4 ohms. Well i know the amp likes to run cabs at 4 ohms aswell. Does this mean i can plug both cabs into the amp or is that a nono? and if not can i run the full 600watts straight into my ampeg or avatar seperately one at a time or are the two speaker outputs stereo which would make it 300watt a side?...alas im confused let the mesa gods forgive my stupidity and grant me knowledge.

-Vince

2. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I'm not familiar with the head or its specs.... but everything from Mesa I've seen is mono. Impedances are a pain to understand at first.... but simply put: two 4ohm cabinets will basically give you 2ohms when combined into one power amp. dont ask why... just know it.

Not sure if that head runs at 2ohms. If it puts its max output out at 4ohms, I'm assuiming that it doesnt.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If you plug two 4-ohm cabs into your head, you'll be running at 2 ohms. Bad karma. While it has two independent pre-amps, the power section is monaural, with a recommended minimum of 4 ohms.

4. Ok then unless someone says otherwise ill delete this post tomorrow morning. Thanks guys.

-Vince

5. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    If someone says otherwise and they are wrong, what will you do?

Keep it at 4 ohms. BTW. ;)

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Conversely, what if I'm wrong?

7. I would have to come to your house while you were asleep and use my ninja :ninja: techniques and place my 6x10 next to your bed and then go crazy on my bass through my mesa m2000 and see how your ears fair = ;) ). Na i dont know if you were wrong.

So if i just use my ampeg 6x10 will it recieve the full 600 watts from the m2000?

8. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    yeppers. Seems like a decent setup, too :)

9. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    You could be, if he intends to connect the two cabs in series for an 8 ohm load. Not that it'd be a good idea though :meh:

By the way, what's with putting a 6x10" with a 1x12"? I don't mean to criticize your gear decisions, but that's a bit of an odd combination. You may be better off with, say, a 4x10" and a 2x12" or a 2x10" and a 1x12" instead.

10. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    That sounds like a good setup. You could always hold onto the 1x12" for small gigs and practice, just don't bother using both at once.

11. I confused yall a bit i dont intend on useing the two together i was just wondering the boundries of my amp and if this kind of load could be handled. No the 6x10 is more than enough power for me and my 3 piece band. The 1x12 will sit at home for my own use most likely. Also The Chariot it is a very nice set up i am more than happy with it. First real professional rig ive owned. Thanks guy for all the help i appreciate it.

-Vince