Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm in a punk band BUT........

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lowend4s, Feb 20, 2001.

1. Lowend4s

Lowend4s

Jan 2, 2001
    I play with my fingers....

I dont listen to alot of punk music...its annoys me sometimes

I listen to Primus Chili Peppers 311 Sublime The Deftones and many other bands.......

I like to involve some funk into my songs...with slapping and popping...and I dont just follow the root note of the guitar everytime....I like to incorporate my scales into the punk guitar riffs

any comments or ideas?

sorry if this is boring but I just wanted some thoughts of yours.....

thanx

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I'm not really into punk, per se. What I have gotten out of it is this-
    It's about attitude & bein' raw! IMO, it's not about having a checklist-
    1)Does bassist play with a pick?
    (Whadda about the guy in The Suicide Machines?)
    2)Does bassist play the roots exclusively?
    (Who wrote that rule? There are "no rules"!)
    3)Does bassist play a P-bass
    (Who cares!)

...now, if you had listed some Free Jazz musicians as some of the bands you're into...my ears woulda perked up. At a different music site(Jazz Corner), some posters broached the topic that a lot of Punk Rockers were influenced by Jazz' New Thingers.
    Personally, I advocate listening to music OUTSIDE your current band's genre(& then maybe copping some stuff from, say, Reggae or Soca, & then injecting that into what you're playin within your group).
    ...there was a local group around here in the mid-'80s that played "Beach Reggae". I wondered, "...what the Hell was that"? Anyway, when I did finally check them out, they were playing Motown tunes in an uptempo Ska vibe. Pretty cool, IMO, for a group of kids in SE Va in the '80s.

3. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    the minutemen were punk and mike watt did some really funky stuff on their albums, listen to double nickels on the dime, thats a good punk record with some really kick ass basslines on it. dont limit yourself, you can be in a punk and still be as creative as you want with your bass.

4. Albino_Ryno

Albino_Ryno Guest

Sep 17, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    I'm not in a punk band per se but the people I play with always want to play punk. I really love to play funky stuff or like you said run scales and put complicated riffs in instead of just hammering on the base note. What makes me mad is when they don't want me to do that, and they say quit playing with your fingers! Use a pick! Most of the people I play with want me there just to provide a throbbing base note. It pisses me off.

5. michael

michael

Mar 10, 2000
    I hear ya, Alby. Sometimes we have to whore ourselves out just to make some noise. I'm limiting that these days, sometimes it's like trying to break up with a girlfriend that keeps calling you!

6. Lowend4s

Lowend4s

Jan 2, 2001
    i totally hear that!

They always tell me i should lower my strap and play with a pick.....

grrrrr anger towards punk guitarists

7. The thing is, its real hard to cut through in your fingers in a punk band. The whole root note thing is rediculous. Listen to rancid, almost never on the root, he plays jazz riffs and it fits perfectly in rancids style.

8. Hang on we are talking punk here aren't we and it's an attitude so F*CK! what your guitarist or band says play how you want it can't get any punker than that!

Oh yeah I play with my fingers, I do use scales over the chords, I sometimes just play root notes and it all sounds good. Thats my second point if it sounds good play it.

9. You can still play some real good punk with your fingers. I think the bassist from Rancid used his fingers sometimes, I'm not too sure though. Anyway, his stuff was kickin. Go fingers.

10. i use my fingers and play creative lines and i'm even more punk than PUNK&DONUTS.

no really i am!

seriously!

:p

11. Albino_Ryno

Albino_Ryno Guest

Sep 17, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    If I could be in any band right now I would like to be in a punk/funk type band that isn't afraid to play something old and something slow every now and then. I just really don't like playing one type of music and one type only. I will play anything, country, R&B, funk, classic rock, jazz, alternative, metal, anything. But most guitar players I know are only good at one style. That get's a little annoying.