1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm in a rut!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Grizzly700, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    Ok, I have been playing bass for almost 2 years now and it seemed to me like as long as I was practicing I was getting better. It doesn't feel like that anymore though. I learned to slap a few months ago and learned all the easy slapping stuff from RHCP and such, but now that I've got all those songs like Aeroplane and Coffee Shop down I feel like I'm not getting any better. I have tried playing more difficult things from Marcus Miller and such but I'm not good enough for those. I'm getting bored of not learning anything new like I have been for the last couple years. I'm in a rut!! Help me get out!!!!

PS- Not completely sure this belongs here.

2. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic

Apr 9, 2006
    Were you good enough for the RHCP stuff when you first tried it? Probably not. The whole point of learning new and difficult material is to get better than you currently are. From a technique standpoint, material you can just sit down and play isn't going to do much (not to say it won't help improve your ear and feel).

Say you're a weight lifter and you want to eventually be able to bench 300 lbs. You can bench 50 lbs all day long every day for years and get pretty good at it, but it's not going to get you where you need to go. You need to constantly push yourself to achieve such goals. If the Marcus stuff is still out of reach, find something between that and the RHCP you've already mastered. Or alternatively, buckle down and pound out the Marcus material. Learning stuff beyond your current ability (accurately and with good sound and feel) is the best way to improve your chops.

When I feel like I'm in a rut, I know it means I need to start taking on bigger challenges than I have been.

3. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    Thanks for the advice.

Any recomendations for songs to learn in htis skill range?