1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm in a rut!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grizzly700, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    Ok, I have been playing bass for almost 2 years now and it seemed to me like as long as I was practicing I was getting better. It doesn't feel like that anymore though. I learned to slap a few months ago and learned all the easy slapping stuff from RHCP and such, but now that I've got all those songs like Aeroplane and Coffee Shop down I feel like I'm not getting any better. I have tried playing more difficult things from Marcus Miller and such but I'm not good enough for those. I'm getting bored of not learning anything new like I have been for the last couple years. I'm in a rut!! Help me get out!!!!

PS- Not completely sure this belongs here.

2. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Here you go...

:hyper:

3. Take a lesson or two and have the instructor guide you on where to go from where you are.

4. pierreganseman

pierreganseman

Aug 23, 2008
    Brussels
    we've all felt that way, at some point... and the one that tells you the opposite will be a lier... trust me on this :)

5. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    Wow, thats really relaxing, I will learn that. :bassist::D

6. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    What's the diff between a rut and a groove?

7. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    :confused: Grooves are smaller...lol

8. A rut is when your psychologically feeling down, uninspired, learning new techniques are not coming to you easily, the instrument is beginning to feel passe, a perspective of lacking.:help:

A groove is meter + tempo = groove.:smug:

9. EclecticElectrk

EclecticElectrk

Aug 26, 2008
    Brooklyn
    my advice is whatever your trying to play, play it as slowly as you can right. i remember when i used to get frustated because there was something i wanted to play but couldnt ...and i just practiced it for hours at slow speeds, and then i got better. i actually enjoy that sort of slow buildup of skills. maybe im weird.

10. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    The two best things you can do to improve your playing and musicianship skills...
    1. Work with a teacher
    2. Play with other people

11. Listen to a lot of music and find good songs that inspire you. And yes try a teacher, just make sure you don't get stuck on the whole sight reading thing for too long.

12. jbassbob

jbassbob

Mar 21, 2005
    Boise ID
    I've been playing on and off for many years. IMHO, when in your situation, taking lessons from a pro, in the style you want to play,will definitely help your motivation.