Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm in a Ska band now.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike Money, May 29, 2003.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Any advice?

I do not really have a Ska playing backround, so I don't really know how to form my lines to fit the music... I have been listening to the mighty mighty bosstones to try and get an idea, but am coming up empty.

I wish it was blue grass so i could get away with root 5th, root 5th, 900 times in a row...

So, what do I do?

2. Triads. You can do the simple I-III-V or mix it around. I would suggest putting more emphazise on the downbeat because usually in ska there is some high pitch sound (guitar, organ, etc) on the upbeats. So when you play on the downbeats you're bringing it all back down to the ground and make the upbeats stand out more. That's an easy way to start playing ska.

If you want some more bassy ska, I suggest the Specials and Reel Big Fish.

Good luck!

3. do anything you want to do. as long as you think it sounds good then it is good to you. Play a walking line and accentuate the downbeats.

4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Everything said thus-far is good advice. Can't stess teh downbeat thing enough- helps keep teh badn togather. If you listen to reel big fish or five iron frenzy, both bands bassists use quite a bit of root-3-5-octave work, but they keep it interesting the way the walk them around. Simple, but effective and enjoyable. Once oyu get into it, ska can be a ton of fun.

5. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    In some ways, ska isn't much different from Bluegrass. The bass plays on the beat, and the guitar plays the upbeats. They're both mostly in 4/4, and both use major chord tones. Ska and bluegrass can both tend to be in the 120+ bpm range.

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Download "Crystal 52" by Jeffries Fan Club. Great bass part, and will give you a little more than the standard I-III-V you'll get in most ska. Reel Big Fish and Five Iron Frenzy, as mentioned, are great examples, though. As are Catch 22 and Skankin' Pickled.