Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm in an expensive pickle.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by i like tictacs, Jul 31, 2005.

1. I can't decide between a quantum 5 or 6, or a Warwick Dolphin SN 5. Damnit. I already have a flea bass, and I want to know if the quantum will be too similar to the flea. However, I had a warwick corvette, and looking back now I don't think I liked it too much as it was far too heavy for my tastes and the neck dive wasn't the most comfortable thing. I know the dolphins are supposed to be dive free, but how is the weight on those badboys?

So really, keeping in mind that I already have a flea bass, Quantum or Dolphin? I want something that can be growly yet smooth, and it's got to have low action as i'm extremely spoiled by the stupidly low action on my flea bass. I just want a GOOD B string. I like how both can be punchy as well. It would be fretted.

:cool:

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Warwick just because your comment on the tone being similiar. I think a warwick would add more to your stable, and that one being a higher end one gives some sense of security.

3. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    get a corvette jazzman... they are lighter and with a proper strap any bass part from the dreaded SG will balance.. plus get a warwick you cant go wrong as long as you like there necks

I LOVE MINE!!

4. You can go very wrong with a Warwick...

Plus, Im just not a fan of the Jazzman's tone

5. I say go for the dolphin. Great sound, great playability.

6. Thanks. At this point I'm being swayed toward the Dolphin, that is, if there is ONE SN 5 string in ONE guitar center in the world. That's all. so if just ONE guitar center has a Dolphin SN 5, I'm set. I have to do my stuff through GC, it's a family thing.

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My suggestion, see if you can hunt down a Roscoe. It nails your description. I've also seen a couple US Curbows in the past at GC that knocked me out that would be right down your alley. All in all though I'd say a Roscoe.

8. I don't know ANYWHERE around here that has a Roscoe. I've never even laid eyes on one. :-\

I am going to check out both the Q and the Dolphin soon enough. So I'll know better soon.

9. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    BassCentral has a thru neck Dolphin 5 that I have played and I liked it. I would go with the Warwick but my Thumb 5 string is very heavy

10. goat1234

goat1234

Mar 17, 2004
    Virgnia
    I have only played one quantum, which was pretty nice, but i was just testing out an amp, not the bass. As i recall, it sounded really nice and smooth with an exceptional low B, and had great action.

You might like the warwick better though.

As far as Roscoes go, they definitly have great B strings, and good tone as well. Elricks also have a nice low B string as well, and can go from smooth to growly. Since you are close by, you are welcome to come try it out, just pm me.

Good luck finding something you like.

11. GET THE QUANTUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(thats what i'd do) seriously, ive never played the dolphin so i wouldnt know but i have played the quantums and their soooo nice. good tone, low b, all that stuff. plus, they look a hell of alot better than the warwicks. Actually, I would buy the quantum, sell the flea and buy a warwick if you want one.

anyway,

GET THE QUANTUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry i took up so much space guys.

12. My Flea isn't going anywhere. You don't understand the hoops I went through trying to get a hold of that thing. It's probably the only one in the state for god sakes. 4 months of wait by Modulus and numerous customer service runarounds. I love it too much to let it go. I love their basses, but their CS needs some improvement.

13. seaKamp

seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    I'd say go with the Warwick if you are concerned about the two Modulus basses sounding too similar(it really pains me to say that seeing how much I love my Q5). I have a Q5 with EMGs and LOVE it. I wouldn't give it up for anything(I am sure this is how you feel about your flea). I haven't played a Flea but I could only assume(of course you shouldn't rely on this for total consideration) that the two Modulus' would sound similar. For what its worth, I'd say go with the Warwick, but like I have said... I haven't played a flea bass.

One thing I would like to add about the Q5 is THE LOW B KICKS ASS. It is thick, clear and like every other string it will ring for days and the bass really does sound like one long string. Love it! :bassist:

14. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    am in the same way,two weeks ago i decide,no more cheap basses :) this time is time for my first high end or boutique bass,i need a good bass,am a bassist for 8 years,i work hard and my money is my own right to spend in a good high end,maybe a Fender Custom Shop,i love them and sound awesome. :bassist:

15. ugo

ugo

Jan 8, 2005
    Northern VA
    Sound Design Coordinator, Camel Audio | Designer, Ugo Audio
    imho, if you want a completely different tone, get the warwick. but if you want a tone thats different from your flea...but still a modulus...get the quantum.

with that graphite neck, there's going to be no excaping the modulus sound. however, due to the pickup differences, the quantum will sound different from the flea. (especially if you've got a MM loaded flea.)

-ugo

16. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    I LOVE my Quantum 6. You'll still have the Modulus sound, but don't under-estimate anything about the electronics or the pre-amp. I have the Bartolini NTMB in mine and it's simply gorgeous sounding.

My Quantum 6

And the low-B IS exceptional.

17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    How did you get a Quantum 6 with such wide string spacing????

[​IMG]

18. I was thinking about a Q6, or a Thumb 6, then I just realized I didn't like how that neck looked on the body or how much beastlier it would be to get around on. Oh well

19. flea-bass

flea-bass

Jan 30, 2004
    well if you want a good b string get a dingwall. I own one and i can hardly put it down

20. Now I with the Warwick crowd, but my God, that's awesome !!

Someone's a lucky boy !!