I'm in Europe. Someone please recommend me an affordable 8 ohms 4x10 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phxlbrmpf, Jul 13, 2005.

1. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I'd like to gain more volume by hooking up a 4x10' cab to my 200 watts Tech Soundsystems amp. I found a homemade 2x15 cab in the trash a while ago but the darn thing simply doesn't cut it, it sounds flat-out terrible and it vibrates way too much.

My combo amp has two inbuilt 10' speakers and a minimum load of 4 ohms.

If I'm lucky and the inbuilt 2x10' speakers' impendance is high enough (I can't find its impedance data anywhere, though, I emailed the manufacturer a while ago, they ought to be able to help) I should be able to use both the inbuilt speaker and an extra cab with 8 ohms, right?

If I find I still need more volume, I'm planning to get a new head also.

To get back to the beginning, I'm planning to spend about 450 Euros max on an 8 ohms 4x10' inch cab. What would you recommend? Peavey? Warwick? Hartke? :help:

Oh, I like clean and modern sounds if that helps any. Lots of thanks in advance.
  2. I bought a brand new Peavey 410 TVX cabinet for 499 at one of them German megastores. They ship to almost everywhere in Europe for a very cheap extra cost (8 euro's to Belgium).

In my opinion those Peavey are the best cabinets you can get for that price. Cheaper cabinets equal a worse sound. Hartke has a weaker sound. Don't know about Warwicks. Try them. Warwick makes good basses so perhaps their amplifier/cab-line is nice as well./
  3. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I like the Hartke sound- great punch, very clear and tight sounding (as they were described in a recent thread). I'd personally go with the 4.5xl as I prefer the aluminium drivers to the paper cone versions. But if you can you should try a few different makes out before you buy. Having said that "clean and modern" suggests to me you'd really like Hartke cabs.
  4. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Thanks, I'll look into that. Weren't the low end Hartkes supposed to be pretty low quality, though, or am I imagining things? I'd really like to try them out in a store, but most stores near me are pretty low on bass equipment. The music store near me has some Peavey cabs, but none of them is 4x10'.
  5. bassomane

Apr 3, 2002
    Look for FMC Cabinets. This cabs can be custom ordered for EUR 299.- I play the HTK 210 and it is an amazing sounding cabinet. Better than the most well known brands. Even cheaper you can get the Harley Benton 410 for incredible EUR 179,-
  6. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Sticking an 8 ohm cab onto a 200 watt combi will not work. OK you'll get 4 ohms but the combined wattage of the combo speakers and the 410 will be higher than the amp can put out. The amp will clip and this in turn will destroy your speakers. The only way going forward for you is a new head and 410 speaker cabinet which match up properly.
  7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    www.thomann.de has their own label (Harley Benton) now, quite good from what I've heard. Some other good deals on Crate, G-K and others too.
  8. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    You'll only drive the amp into clipping if you need to crank it higher than you normally would. With the 210s in the combo and a 410 cab you're likely to get a subjectively louder sound for the same output anyway (say, 50+50 W each going to the 410 array and the 210 array, rather than 100 W going to the 210 alone) because of the increased cone area. I think the 200W amp in the combo will easily drive a modern efficient 410 cab in addition to the internal speakers, providing you use your ears and don't try to max everything out. If you hear clipping, turn it down. Anybody else throw any light on this?

I can't coment on the "low end" Hartkes, but my XLs are great quality (the 115 and 210 are USA made, the 2.5xl is made in, I think, Asia - no discernible difference in construction or component quality as far as I can tell). Some people may not like the Hartke sound with the ali drivers, but that's personal preference. I've had zero quality issues with my Hartke gear, all of which is pretty new.

9. How's about a Warwick? Thomann do one:-

Not sure how good a price that is in Germany though!

Saw Therapy?, and Michael McKeen (bassist) uses Warwick 4 x 10s of some sort and they sound good!
  10. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I hope bassybill is right and Stox is wrong, otherwise this would suck. :/

I'd really like to try some of Warwick's cabs, as they're pretty cool-looking. :oops: Argh, this is useless, I really need to overcome my laziness and find a store that has better bass gear in stock.