1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Im in flatwound heaven.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by colorblindbass, Feb 25, 2008.

1. ive played flats for the last year and i love them, but today, i happened upon what a select few of you will truly envy.

now, i play a basic Precision bass, and this morning it had a 2 month old set of chromes on it.

so now the story,

I was in bass lessons the other day, and my bass teacher commented on how im probably the only person in town who uses Flatwound strings whats under 50 or 60 (im 15) and how hes the only one under 50 who uses flatwound guitar strings (hes 27)

he said that he got a 1964 Precision bass in the other day to be worked on and that it "has strings on it that are at least 30 years old"

that was Last Wednesday,
    So, i walked in today (monday), about 3 o'clock, and he says,

"Hey, i got something you will definitly appreciate!"
    "Ooh, what is it?"
    "open that case right there"
    (he motions to a lightly weathered Fender Hardshell case)
    (i set it in the open and open it up)
    "Whoa!!!!! is this that 1964 you were telling me about???"

This is a 3 tone sunburst, with the 4 ply tort pickguard and Rosewood fingerboard.

"Oh yeah."
    "My god the things in Pristene Condition?!??!"
    "i know right? its even got all the origional covers"
    (he pulls a plastic bag out of the case and shows me the ashtray and pickup cover which are in PERFECT condition)

(keep in mind im in such awe i still havent touched it yet)

"you ever played a 64' Precision?"

"haha of course not"
    (he picks it up and hands it to me)

Wowwwwwwwwww...............................................

i asked him what the story behind it was, and he says:
    " Ok, well this little old church closed down downtown, this guy was the Harmonica (or something like that) player in the band, there cleaning out a closet in the Basement, and they found this, and a 1964 fender Bassman Amp. Not knowing a bit about what they had, they just said, "Hey, wanna play bass? have this stuff, we found it in the Basement, Take it its yours." so the guy brought it to me for me to put some new strings on it, he Definatly Dosent know what he has hah."

Amazed, i walk out. (this bass was absolutly Spotless, the pickguard had shrunk a bit, and the pickups pole pieces were slightly brown, but this thing was MUCH less worn than a fender Closet Classic.

so an hour later, im sitting at the eye doctor, waiting for my sister to get done with her appointment, when a lightbulb goes off.

"wait, he put new strings on, the strings he took off were 40 year old Flat wounds!"

so i RUSHED over to the store before they closed, i run in and yell, "DONOVAN! Yeah man? what did you do with the strings that were on that bass?!??!! lemme find um.....

i said, "do you want um?"
    "Nah man, i just dug um out of the Trashcan"
    "how much you want for um?"

"hah man, they were in the TRASH"

after examining them, ive determined by the color of the wrapping, that these are indeed the strings that came on this bass, in 1964 (theres so much junk and dirt on these strings, its great)

So, i went home, put them on my P-Bass, and MY GOD.

i almost had a heart attack when i played Bernadette and it sounded EXACTLY like Jamersons tone on the recording.

so i have a 44 Year old pair of strings on my Bass, that came off of a 64'.

The dirt Really does keep the Funk James, it really does.

anyone wanna level with me here?
    (sorry for the ridiculously long post, i feel like i stumbled upon the holy grail here)

2. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    gratz

I love old strings :D

3. Jamasaurus

Jamasaurus

Sep 10, 2007
    Naples, FL
    I would've tried to buy the '64 off that dude! I just put chromes on my Geddy Jazz awhile back and I'm really digging the tone on that baby. Enjoy your super funkified strings brother.

4. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I know exactly how you feel man! I have a crazy old oddity/no-name bass from 63 or 64 and it still has the original flats on it. one of my friends tried to tune it down to drop d and I almost killed him. don't want to wear them out anymore than they already are and risk breakage!
    most amazing strings:)
    cherish those! haha

5. oh yeah, if i find out that guys name, im buying that thing.

he has literally NO idea that its a 6k bass hah

6. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    :crying: you should hide the bass when he comes!! :bag:

7. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    Great story, man!

A '64 in excellent condition? At least $6K! How much are thinking of offering him for it?

And when you buy it, I'll take the P-Bass with the 40 year old flats off of your hands... :D

8. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Cool story, Well even if you dont get the bass you got some cool vintage strings...nice!

9. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
  10. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL

or never let him come over again haha

11. the bass in the pictures is almost the exact same except of course for the headstock decal

and its in Waaaay better condition,

better condition than my main player who just turned One year old.

12. rickfan63

rickfan63

Dec 5, 2006
    Old flats on the right basses can sound really nice. I have a old set of Chromes on my OLP/MM Sting Ray bass. I really like the sound and the feel. The Bartolini MM pick up on the bass seems to sound a little better with flats than rounds. BTW, what a way for a vintage Fender to fall into your hands!:)

13. if i find the guy, and he still has no idea what he has and he wants to get rid of it

$500?

:)

i have no problem with legal Robbery.

14. lovernotfighter

lovernotfighter

Nov 2, 2007
    In the two seconds I played those strings today i realized thay are better strings than i could ever have imagined. If you get ahold of that bass i may actualy bow down to it!:smug:

15. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    You're evil... although I'd probably do the same thing... ;)

16. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    So, these are two string basses?

17. That's a neat story, and congrats on the "new" strings.

The only thing that kinda "disturbs" me, is that the employee of this store is showing/playing this guys bass.

I had dropped off my USA lakland to get a setup once, and when I came in to pick it up, they were letting a customer, (read 15-18 year old kid)
    play on it. He was slammin' on it like he was a rockstar with a bad meth habbit.

I was obviously pissed.
    I don't care if I brought in a $100 bass. If anyone messes with it other than the tech while he's setting it up, is not a good thing.

But once again, congrats on the "new" strings. My problem would not be with you, but the store.
    Also, any store/ tech worth going to would tell this guy what he has if they knew it. This place is NOWHERE I would go. (all in my opinion of course)

18. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Im ok with a store that gives away throw away strings.

But... letting you play a customers bass does not sit well with me either. .. at all!

19. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Well, unless the bass was made in the first two months of 64, the strings are actually 43 years old. :) Like me! Also, at 43, I am under fifty, and I play flats!

20. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    He obviously chose you as a discerning and tasteful acolyte by your preference for flatwounds and I'm assuming friendly and open demeanor, and wanted to share the awe. I doubt he would have shown it to any kid off the street, and he seemed discreet to me.

As long as no note was played in malice, I'd be flattered to have a bass of mine brought forward as an offering and played respectfully by a fellow bassist, once or twice.

Great story and I hope no one ever tries to find that bass.