I'm in LA Times!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by mycranium, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Today my kids (my elementary school students, not my offspring) performed on handbells at a church service. One of the kids said "You were in the newspaper!" Later his mom told me she saw an article about a monthly gig I play at, a talk-show format live event geared toward women with kids who don't get to go out much. I'm in the house band. They mention the bandmembers by name, and I'm in the background of the picture (far right) but you can't see my snazzy Squier Affinity P-Bass. I find it odd that they reversed the photo. I'd provide the link to the story, except you have to register with LA Times, and it's a 14-day trial, after that they want you to pay! But the thumbnail photo is currently on a publicly-available page here under "Special Features", but it'll probably get replaced in the next day or so.

I guess that constitutes a minute or so of my 15 minutes of fame.

I'm really a lot more excited about my kids' performance. I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, at the level of focus and concentration this particular group of 2nd and 3rd graders achieves. They've clearly been blessed with good teachers so far. They played an arrangement of an excerpt of Mozart's "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik." the biggest challenge for me was finding a piece that suited the limitations of the bells - one octave range, no accidentals.

It was a bittersweet experience for me though, as it was my last official involvement with them for the year, and it's questionable whether my position will exist next year. Enrollment is precariously low, so they'll be doing a combined 4th/5th grade class, but they want to keep both of those grades' teachers, one of whom is also capable of teaching music. Well, it was fun while it lasted. They might be able to keep me, or I might offer an after-school enrichment course. I've become addicted to the joy of working with kids, so I'm committed to keeping it going somehow.

2. One of the guitarists in our band is a teacher and our Keyboardist does testing- both in the Milwaukee Public Schools System. With all the budget problems in the city, and all the problems with non-literate children in the city, MPS has decided to let go 400 employees, most of which would be teachers. :confused:

That's not going to cause any problems a few years down the line... :mad:

PS, sorry to complain there, I really should have been congratulating you!