I'm in love... Warwick Corvette fretless!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tommygunn, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    The other day I took a lesson and I didn't have my bass with me so he had me play his. He just bought a Warwick Corvette fretless cause he needed/wanted one cause he hasn't had one since he sold me his sterling fretless. It was so fresh he didn't even realize that it had 24 "frets" or whatever. I loved the neck on it, the wenge is such a cool feel and it was so aggressive for a j/j bass. He was like "it's nice but your's has more versatility." Man! I wish my sterling sounded like that! I can get 10,000,000,000 tone out of it but none of em are aggressive and raunchy. I almost felt like sayin "Well I'll trade!" and throw a little chuckle afterwards just to see what he says and not make it seem like I hate the sterling.

Oh and he keeps rotosound rounds on all his basses, the rotos + the ebony was amazing

/rave

2. the corvette std makes a sweet fretless for sure

3. my nearest guitar center used to have a fretless corvette, thought it was the best bass available. i already loved the feel of a warwick, so it wasnt too weird being a fretless, though i think guitar center left roundwound strings on the bass since they dont care to put on the correct strings. sadly they dont have it anymore.

4. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    Roundwound strings are "correct" as flatwounds or any others. My fretless Fender Jazz bass has had roundwounds for about 85% of it's life and very little fretboard gouging and damage, and certainly in no need of either flats or a fingerboard replacement.

The idea that roundwounds always damage the fretboard on a fretless is not true. Sometimes, depending on player, bass, style, and so on, it may be true, but NOT always.

5. A great bass! I played one at a music store about 6 years ago. A month later I bought one. The best bass I own and not nearly the most expensive. I even like it more than the much more expensive Warwicks.

6. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I'm with thunderthumbs... tho I play heavy and bend the strings so rounds do affect my fretless. The ebony is really hard wood so that fights against rounds, plus it's a really bright wood.

7. Yeah, but roundwounds just suck. So there....

:ninja:
    :D

8. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    Warwick Corvette Fretlesses are great basses. The standards can be had for pretty cheap on ebay.

9. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    +1 Corvette 'n Flats :bassist:

[​IMG]

10. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    Tommy loving another bass?!

No. Way.

;) :D

11. PZapdos

PZapdos

Jan 23, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I love my fretted corvette :p

ive been considering a fretless though..

12. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Bro, that made crack up. sigged. But what makes it funny is that lately I have played a lot of basses I love.

1 sr500
    2 roscoe lg
    3 78 p
    4 CV p
    to name a few

13. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Oh and what are the controls? IIRC its passive

14. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    Pretty sure its Volume/Blend/Tone

15. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Oh ok!

16. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    Um.... ok?

;)

17. SHWAG

SHWAG

Sep 8, 2009
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    That looks exactly like mine lol.

18. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    you beat me to it..todays best bass evar tommythread!

19. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    I've never been a big Warwick fan, but I do love the fretless Corvette 4s I've tried at GC. The wood combo really gives a nice growl. Do they make these with a lined FB?

20. BigTuna

BigTuna

Feb 23, 2010
    Romeoville, IL
    They had one at my local GC for a while and I picked it up a few times. I loved it. I own a fender fretless with the same setup but I like the warwick a thousand times more. But the price is also 3x that of my fender. I played the warwick with a little chorus built into an amp and absolutley loved it. This bass will make my collection someday
    :cool:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021