1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Im in need of some advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FrankZappaFan, Jul 2, 2012.

1. FrankZappaFan

FrankZappaFan

Jul 2, 2012
    Ohio
    OK I play a Peavey Millennium 4 Ac Bxp bass, and im wanting to go up to a 5 string bass but i am having difficulty looking for a new bass. I'm wanting a versatile and simple bass, im a big P bass fan for its simplicity and versatility. I play a wide range of things ranging from RHCP,Blink-182,Frank Zappa to the Silversun pickups and even Amon Amarth. And i am also on a budget what would you guys recommend for under 800 dollars? im looking preferably for a passive bass but i wouldn't mind an active bass, since mine is currently an active bass.

2. FishstickFender

FishstickFender

Mar 24, 2010
    IMO once you go to 5 string active pickups are pretty essential. Why do you want to go to 5? The bass I would recommend for your price range would be a mexican made fender jazz bass. It was my first bass, and I still use it as a primary instrument, although I've replaced the neck. You're not going to find a 5 string Pbass outside of the custom shop most likely. Ibanez probably has some reasonable 5 strings in your price range but I've never played an ibanez that Ive liked, so try em out and maybe you'll like them. You may be able to find a used schecter in your price range as well, and those are great basses.

3. I love my G&L Tribute L2500. It goes for $800 retail, but you might be able to find a used one for cheaper.

4. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    If you are looking for a traditional sound in a 5 string bass, the MIM Fender V is a great choice. I've got one. It is now a spectacular bass, but I had to change the pickups to SCNs to get it that way. Originally I was never happy with the tone. On your side is if you get a late new one, they are MUCH improved now and you may not have to go at it like I did to get mine (2002) up to snuff.

But my main axes are my G&L L2500s including my Tribute. I'm a little reluctant to recommend one to just anyone, but they sure float my boat. Some people hate the knobosity. They hate all the mini switches. They hate the versatility. They hate how aggressive it can get (aggression can be toned down slightly with a basswood body version...mine are ash). They hate the very strange passive-active circuit, with the totally passive tone controls. And even though it's Leo's last masterpiece, people hate that it isn't a "Fender".

Obviously these people are not me! For me it's one of the most kick-butt basses on the planet and I only wish they also came in 6 string!

You really need to go try a MIM Fender Jazz or the Tribute L2500 to see what is you. Another positively stomping bass is my Squier PJ 5er. I can't recommend one because you can't buy one. Fender doesn't sell them. You have to start with a Squier and totally rework it yourself. As someone noted the only real source is some custom shop. As to why nobody sells these killer basses, I have no clue. I believe Yamaha makes a clone something like that, though.

5. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I owned a 2007 MIM Fender active deluxe Jazz V and Noiseless
    pickups on there were very good for the bucks (they equipped
    the former 2001/2002 American deluxe Jazz V). I also liked the
    PauFerro fingerboard on it, but the neck was a nonsense... On
    mine (I play full step downtuned), gap from nut to first frets surfaces (and susequent fret buzzes) was nearly unbearable

Go for G&L 2500 Tribute: a very very good bass. You can afford it for new in your budget

Believe me: if you dig wide necks and overall Precision like feel,
    you get many more upgradings and an always versatile active passive and serial parallel alternate way to operate, and punch
    aplenty

I suggested same option to a good friend of mine here in Italy,
    on a local bass Forum.

Otherwise you could afford (but near to budget plafond) a Yamaha BB1025 (BB1025X with the pickguard) and it sounds loud as hell and cut thru the mix with unexpected ease (just like Fender, I dare to say) but unfortunately passive only bass

Cheers,
    Wallace

6. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

If you want passive pickups, try the Yamaha BB425x or get a used BB415. Great bass, very hot pickups, excellent p-style tone. You'll save a couple hundred bucks from your budget for other things, too.

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  8. FrankZappaFan

FrankZappaFan

Jul 2, 2012
    Ohio
    @FishstickFender i have tried out ibanez basses im quite disappointed with them besides the bartolini pups in them. Im wanting to go to a 5 string because im wanting to learn more complex things that may or may not require 5 strings like stuff from Trivium and other metal bands(only to improve my playing and or for fun) or eventually getting to primus and other things. i Thought for most purposes it would allow me to play more things, i typically play mostly slap and pop but i have really improved on my fingerstyle which im now playing with my fingers even more often now. Plus i already have two Four-stringers my starter bass which was a Rogue LX200b Series II, and the peavey.

9. FrankZappaFan

FrankZappaFan

Jul 2, 2012
    Ohio
    Thanks so much for the help! im suprised how many people replied so quickly

10. Check out the Brutes. If you dig the style and colors, and they are not for everyone I guess, you wont be disappointed in the sound and playablity. They are fantastic!!:bassist:

11. FishstickFender

FishstickFender

Mar 24, 2010
    Yeah, I only know a couple guys who like Ibanez basses, they feel like toys to me, and I think they have awful tone. So the two advantages to a 5 string are: 1. You can play lower notes, thats the obvious one, that will certainly come in handy if you are playing more modern metal, since you want that low sound, some guys even down tune their five strings to get almost as low as the lowest note on a piano. 2: More flexibility with respect to playing positions. This is the biggest advantage in my mind. Being able to play that low F on the sixth fret has huge advantages with respect to not having to change positions, you can keep more notes under your left hand all at once, and therefore have more options, and use less energy to play the same lines. Also the notes E-Aflat sound much different when played with the low b string on frets 5-9 than they do from frets 0-4 on the E string. Extral tonal possibilities are a huge plus. Have you found a bass yet?

12. Gabriel51

Gabriel51

Sep 30, 2008
    Texas
    Another option is if you want a 34" or a 35" scale.
    A lot of people say their 34" scale B string sounds good and it probably does but it will never sound as good as a 35" scale, but that is not why I play only 35" scale, that reason is that all the other strings have more tension also which helps my right hand technique.
    The frets are slightly further apart (1/2" on each side of the twelfth fret) and not hard to adjust to and it does reduce your options because there are more 34's than 35's.
    Peavey Grind is a good choice so is a Cirrus.