1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm in quite a dilemma...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by HazyMan, Nov 23, 2018.

1. HazyMan

HazyMan

Feb 21, 2018
    Okay, so.
    I have a set of EB Cobalt flats (45-100) on my bass right now and the A string in particular is dead so i wanted a replacement. I got the replacement, but it unfortunately is a (40-95) traditional flatwound set. I have a few choices to make but i'm not sure what to do...

1. Try to sell the EB cobalts to someone who might be interested in buying used flats and put in the traditional flat set
    2. Try to trade the traditional flat set with a D'addario Tapewound set, if that's even possible
    3. Sell the traditional flat set and buy a D'addario Tapewound set

What should i do? This whole bass strings thing has turned me so off to the point where i'm beginning to prefer the guitar. All i want is to find the perfect shagging set for me and i can't seen to be able to do that. Another thing that worries me is the amount of money i've spent into strings. I've spend so much...

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Sounds like you’re not sure what you want.

What do you like or dislike about each of the three sets of strings you mentioned?

3. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Wait, you want someone to buy your Cobalt set with a dead string?

bdplaid, Chrisk-K and Nashrakh like this.
  4. There is no such thing as "the perfect shagging set" for you or anyone else. String quest is a process of trial and error.

If I were in your position, I would try the 40-95 traditional flats first. They're actually not bad at all. They have a tonal quality similar to either the D'Addario Chromes or the Fender 9050 - a good middle-of-the-road flat that can be fairly versatile.

Or else, take up the flute. No strings to worry about. ;)

Lobster11 likes this.
  5. HazyMan

HazyMan

Feb 21, 2018
    These cobalts do NOT exist in my country. That's why i thought it would still be worth it for some people.

6. HazyMan

HazyMan

Feb 21, 2018
    EB Cobalt Flats: One of the strings sounds dead and they make my fingers smell like metal, even after weeks of usage.
    Traditional EB flats (Group IV): they are a 40-95 set. I wanted the Group III which are 45-100 so im not sure if putting the Group IVs is worth it, since my EB cobalt flats are 45-100. they might ruin my bass' setup, especially the A string which is a 70 gauge instead of ATLEAST a 75 gauge.

7. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    First thing to do is quit worrying about ruining your setup, as you need to to a setup each time you change strings anyway as well as seasonal setups as the weather changes. Your neck is going to move no matter what you do, so just plan to do some setups.

I've never used Cobalt Flats so I don't know if the smelly fingers thing is normal. As a side note, I just put a new set of Dunlop Super Brights on my main bass and after playing about an hour my fingers don't smell any stinkier than usual :)

8. HazyMan

HazyMan

Feb 21, 2018
    Well ok but i don't like constantly changing gauges. I've previously been on a 40-95 set, then on a 45-100, and then go to 40-95 again? Oh and i am looking forward to putting tapewounds on, which are 50-105. Will my bass be okay if i keep stringing strings of different gauges?

9. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yes that won't hurt it. You will just need a truss rod tweak each time probably.

HazyMan likes this.
  10. The EB traditional flats 40-95 would have similar overall tension and stiffness to the EB Cobalt 45-100.

Of the three mentioned, D'A Tapewounds have the lowest overall tension, despite the largest gauges, as they're extra-light rounds under the tape.

11. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    This is a dilemma? =)
    You bought the wrong gauges (40-95), so go back to the shop and try to exchange for the correct set. If not possible you could try selling them or try them since you have played 40-95 before and don't like the Cobalts.
    This is quite obvious and i don't know why you would even open a thread for such a trivial situation. Just make a decision yourself and do what you want, this kind of decision is not something anyone else can advise on.

You are also overreacting, buying the wrong set is no reason to give up bass, these situations will still happen with guitar.
    A new setup is usually necessary even with the same gauges if brand or string line changes, intonation will certainly need checking.
    In future, be more careful when buying sets, it's quite easy to select the correct gauges.

*places dummy back in the pram*

12. HazyMan

HazyMan

Feb 21, 2018
    I think i stated that i do NOT want to go back to light gauges. I want to move to 50-105 gauges (D'addario Tapewounds). Also they sent me the wrong gauge and i can't change it because they didn't have the proper one. My other options were regular slinkies which are much cheaper, so i wanted to go for the group iv flats since they are nearly as expensive as the cobalt flats. this is a dilemma for me because i've spent a lot of money and im still not satisfied.