Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm in terrible dilemma over buying an amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sLapshock, Nov 12, 2004.

1. sLapshock

sLapshock

Nov 12, 2004
    Singapore
    I got a budget of $200. Now im buying an amp, after done a lot lot of research i considering this 3 amp.

Washburn BD30B , Peavey Microbass III and Laney HCM15B.

My first choice is Washburn BD30B. I like this amp because it got active and passive input, it is 30Watt and it has a Contour knobs (which i dont really know what is it used for) Also becasue i really liek the looks of this amp.

I heard a lot of reviews of Peavey Microbass BUT, i prefer Washburn than Microbass is because its only 20Watt it doesnt have the extra contour knobs that washburn offer, it doesnt have active or passive inputs (dont know if it really necessary, my bass is active pickup btw) and it looks ugly.

As for Laney, i'm considering it because it is much smaller then the rest. It looks better than microbass.

Hope anyone can help with my dilemma.

2. I would base my decision on how an amp sounds, rather than how it looks. :meh:

3. don't buy any of those. Save up a little longer. I sold my hardly used ashdown EB 130 112 for 275. You can get them new for a little over 325 or so. It will be worth the wait. You can get a cheap beringher or harktke.

4. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia
    Peavey Microbass
    Made In: U.S.A.
    List Price: $180
    Warranty: One-year limited
    Description: 20-watt solid-state with 3-band EQ, volume control, and headphone jack
    Sound: 5
    Bottom Line: Fat sound right out of the box. Has enough output and room-filling tone to use in a quiet rehearsal—perhaps with a couple of acoustic guitars. EQ doesn't add a lot; fortunately, Peavey voiced the amp right to begin with. Great sound, minimal compression ... makes you want to practice. Same great sound in the cans with better highs for the modern-tone crowd.

for more go to BASSPLAYER.com -archive-back issiues -FALL 99 - here u have Seven Practice Amps Under $200
    1x8 combos shoot it out.

5. sLapshock

sLapshock

Nov 12, 2004
    Singapore
    Peavey is OK, but it doesnt have many much option that Wahsburn offer. Laso Peavey is 20 Watt while Washburn is 30 Watt. Both have the same price.

Im looking for anyone tried this amp to tell.

6. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Honestly you're not going to really be able to tell the difference between the Washburn and the Peavey with only 10 watts difference, the Washburn is prolly inflated anyways. Your best bet is to buy something used or to buy the Peavey or a Behringer.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    winter 2001 I was looking for a little practice amp. I went to the local store with the largest bass section and played my bass and 3 or 4 off the rack through about 8 different little amps.

I came home with a microbass (just sold it to a TBer).

none of you choices will match a drummer, but are fine for acoustic jams. for $200 I'd see if an Ashdown could be had. Electric Blue or the littler ones.

8. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    they used to make 50 watt microbasses. I'm unsure if they still do, but I've owned 2 in the past and they were the best little combos for the money (IMO). Here's a link to one on ebay. It's one of the older models, which I also owned prior to my other microbass.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64452&item=3760593566&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

That, or if you're looking for shear power, get a Behringer like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64452&item=3760593566&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I've never played a Laney bass amp before, but my guitar player used to have one of their guitar combos. To this day I have not found a better combo for the price he paid for it.

Washburn. ewww. Just a no in my book. Sorry, not a really big fan of their stuff. My first bass was a washburn. Even before I knew anything about bass I knew it was a piece. If I had a choice, I'd try and stay away from them.

If I had to choose one of the 3 amps that you're looking at I'd go:

1) Peavey
    2)Laney
    3)Washburn

It is completely your choice too, so you can disregard anything I said if you so choose. :D

9. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    I would get an Ibanez SW35. I had one of these and it has excellent tone even for the low b string. A ton of great features for a good solid practice amp. It's only $150.00 and you'll have $50.00 for something else.
    [​IMG]

Check it out at Music123.

Read some of the reviews for the money you can't go wrong!

10. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    For $220.00 you could get an Ibanez SW65. 65 watt version. I have had one as a practice amp for about 9 months now and it's a good amp for the money.

11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Dude, keep away from the Laney HardCoreMax series! It is terrible! It sounds boxy, has very weak lows, and it's got a very nasty nasal, unmusical midrange, that cant be smoothed out with the eq. Also, the highs are harsh. It is one of the worst-sounding cabs I've necountered. :mad: I was really mad later that the salespeople told me into it; I was just a noob then and had no good source like TB. You did the right thing by asking here first. I was very frustrated with my 30, and couldnt believe how muh better my tone got when I got some better gear. Save your money and dont buy that POS, you'll regret it if you do!

12. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    I'm sure you can find a used crate bx 100 for under $200. It's not a bad amp. 100 watts into a 15" speaker, 8 band eq. IT's really a great practice amp because: It's cheap, has a decent tone for the price, can get loud enough to use at practice if your drummer and guitar player are not loud, and because its a combo it's somewhat portable. I had one and loved it. It has a DI input which allows you plug into a PA. Like I said It's a good practice amp and it is possible to gig with it with PA support plus it's cheap, so you will have a "useable" amp while you save up your cash for something bigger and better. Honestly a Crate bx 100 gives you a lot of bang for the buck when it comes to amps of this size and power. Look into it

13. sLapshock

sLapshock

Nov 12, 2004
    Singapore
    ok so laney is out of the list. now i dont know peavey or washburn. ir ealy like the washburn design tho. so if botha re good, i better take one with good design rite?

14. I'd go peavey, only because i have no experince with the other amps. And it will do its job perfectly (practice amp).

15. sLapshock

sLapshock

Nov 12, 2004
    Singapore
    peavey or washburn pevey or washburn .. arghh!!!

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Peavey tends to be louder than their rating suggest and they never break down.

Washburn doesnt have that reputation and to tell you the truth, the best thing to do with a countour knob is get rid of it.

I say Peavey.

17. sLapshock

sLapshock

Nov 12, 2004
    Singapore
    anymore anymore... haiz..... washburn really dont have reputation.

18. I have a Peavey Microbass, and I also have a Behringer BX600 60watt combo.

The Behringer should be within your budget I'd say, and mine's much nicer than my Peavey Microbass.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_id/75700

Better tone with quite a nice 12" driver, way more functionality and much much louder than my Peavey.

Before I bought the Behringer BX600, I also checked out the BX300, and the BX1200. I wasn't really impressed with either the BX300, or 1200, but the BX600 is very nice.

Check out the BX600. ;)

Good Luck :D

19. sLapshock

sLapshock

Nov 12, 2004
    Singapore
    problemis i dotn soemthing bulky. i want something that i can lug around with my foot anywhere, anyplace.

so kinda i want a portable one.

small and punchy