Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm in the market for a 410 cab...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sundogue, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I'm going through all the searches, but I thought I would throw this out there...

I'm in the market for a 410 cab. I need one in about a week, but I can't come up with the cash upfront, so I need to buy one locally (where the owner will let me take it right away and let me make payments...which is basically only Ampeg.

Or online...some place like American Musical Supply where I can have my card billed in three seperate monthly charges. I can't just have my card billed all at once, so that leaves out any place online that can't split the charges up.

I only play a 4 string, but I play in a classic rock band...and sometimes we are really cranking. I want something that sounds clean and can handle the low end without breaking up(yeah, I know...who doesn't?). I don't play heavy metal, or jazz...just a straight up rock "tone" kind of thing...that can occassionally handle some high volume, and stay clean sounding.

I have an Eden WT400, so I'm also looking for something that matches well with this head.

Any suggestion for a new 410 cab? I'm looking for something around $500-$650 new.

I'll keep doing the search thing but in the mean time, if anyone has ideas, let me know.

Thanks.

2. Musiciansfriend and GuitarCenter both have a in store credit card you can get for purchases. Most of them have a 0 interest for 3/6/12 months. But be sure you pay it off before then or the 85% interest will kill you. (I don't know the exact interest rate, but I'm sure it's not competitive)

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
  4. Vorak

Vorak

Dec 6, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I just got a new SVT-410HLF from Guitar Center and I'm in love with it. I got their credit card and have 12 months to pay it off.

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    My local shop has the entire Ampeg line and I could take it today and pay it off (cash) in three months (which wouldn't be a problem). I'm very good friends with the owner.

I'm not sure which Ampeg 410 though (haven't played through them yet, though I might today yet, over lunch)...He's got the BSE and the SVT. I could get the BSE for $550, or the SVT for $650.

Of course, he has the 610 and the 810 as well, but I don't want to go there...well, I do...but I can't.

6. Nico3535

Nico3535

Mar 8, 2006
    Florida
    i'd go with a carvin brx cab. Thir made to hadle a beating and they sound great. Built tough as hell, buta bit akward to carry cause the hadles are really low. Its the best 4 x 10 you will find for under 900 dollars. 599 + 40 shipping. They also have a no interest card you can apply for!

7. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I've had Carvin cabs...I'm looking for something a little more substantial. They do sound good...but I've had my share of them...so I want something else.

By the way...I want a 4 ohm cab as I only want one cab to haul around. I realize the benefits of an 8 ohm cab...but a single 4 ohm, 410 cab is what I'm after.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you could get by for a while and get your budget up to $999, the Sadowsky SA410 is phenomenal.

If you don't mind the weight (and if you can find one), the older Mesa Boogie Diesel and RR 4x10's were (are) amazing.

Tom.

9. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

And at the other end of the budget spetrum are the newer Avatar 4x10 Neo's. They use a custom Eminence Neo driver with longer Xmax, etc and they have recently upgraded their crossovers and just got a phenomal review in Bass Guitar magazine. The older Avatar's were good (I had several), but I"m told that the newer ones are much better. Plus the 4x10 only weighs 65 lbs and only cost $389 (a steal!!!!).

10. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
  11. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Thanks for the replies guys...keep 'em coming!!!

Hmmm, my budget won't ever get to $999 (four kids).

The 810 Aggie looks interesting as well...but I don't think I want to haul an 810 around. I'm sticking with a 410 no matter what.

I've looked into the Avatars...interesting...and a great price...however I don't want to stick that much at once on my credit card. I could pay it off no problem but this is the deal my wife can with...

I can get a new cab for $500-$600...if, and only if, I can spread cash payments out over three months (and that includes being charged on a credit card in three installments...ala AMS). I can't be charged the full amount on a credit card all at once. It has to do with our limits. That's the deal with her, so that's what I've gotta do. My wife is pretty understanding with my music and gear requirements, so when she gives me the green light...I'm willing to play by her rules.

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
  13. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I play the same kind of music you do and I use a SWR Goliath III with great results. I used to have an Ampeg stack but I'm much happier with my tone now. The SWR just sounds so clear and strong without the mud I got with the Ampeg.

14. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Well, the "other" music shop carries SWR. I'm going to check that out as well. I've dealt with him in the past...hit or miss with him as far as getting deals. Sometimes he gives me great deals, other times I have to pass on getting screwed. It all depends on how much he has in stock and whether or not his stock has been moving for him. I'll have to check it out.

Does SWR make different 410's? Any particular models?

15. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Avatar Kappa Pro, would be my choice.

16. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Yes, I like that and the Neo 410 as well.

Still, I've got that whole full charge on our credit card thing to deal with.

Normally my wife is never too happy with me buying gear. But she does understand that I need a new cab (blew out two speakers in my old, well used Peavey 410 TXF...and have no desire to repair/use it anymore), and she's willing to concede spending the money without a hassle...but I have some stipulations (and I can live with the compromise).

17. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    If you've had their cabs, you've probably had the RedLine cabs. The newer BRX cabs are a different ballgame, according to my admittedly unscientific A/B testing at the Carvin showrooms. Better volume, better frequency response, better tone, better power handling, and better built. Very noticeable difference IMO. And they've just cut the weight on the 4-10 and started offering it in a 4 ohm version:

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=BRX10.4Neo&CID=BRX

18. Vorak

Vorak

Dec 6, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Well I'm sticking with the Ampeg because its the best cab I've played myself. It may not be your best choice but from personal experience it is the one I would recommend. So far its only downside is how big it is. It's 110 lb's and is pretty hard to carry up a set of stairs by yourself but with help its not bad at all. It is built like a tank though and it can definitely take a beating.

As for sound quality, its got amazing lows and, in my opinion, the highs are very good too. It's perfect for my style of music (anything from rock to metal) and it is plenty loud.

I would suggest the SVT-410HLF over the HE though since the HLF is ported and sounds MUCH better. I've never played played the BSE so I'm not entirely sure but from what I've read, people seem to prefer the SVT series.

19. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    If the HLF series are too pricy, look at the Peavey TVX's. They smoke the HE's, lot's more bottom. It's probably one of the cheapest 4X10 with an excellent bottom end.

20. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Keep your eye open for a used SWR Goliath III 4 ohm.
    Or a SWR Working Pro or Workingman's 4x10 from local shops
    that sell used.

Either one of those will sound great with that Eden head.
    Funkster has one with 2 2x12 Aggies and it sounds great.

Even a 2x10 + 1/15 would work likely, and not be too heavy,
    so you have a lot of options. But like cars, cabs depreciate
    wsen bought new, and you can get a lot more cab for your
    budget if you can score good ones used on the terms you
    need.

PS, you don't have a location in the profile but if you are
    near the Northeast check out www.daddys.com and hit the
    used gear link on the bottom right. They deal in a lot of used gear
    and if nothing else, are good for a used retail sell price guide.