Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm installing a Bartolini preamp into an old Ibanez Musician...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bigbajo60, Dec 17, 2005.

1. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    ...but I need to ask a question of the resident electronics whizzes:

The pickups on this MC924 (those old "brownie" pickups with the big exposed polepieces) have three conductors... red, white and twisted shield (ground?).

The Bartolini schematic for the preamp (HR-5.4AP/918) only shows where to connect "hot" and ground wires. I know I shouldn't assume, but, assuming the twisted shield is ground, which should I consider the "hot"... red or white?

Also, what do I do with that 3rd remaining lead? Your expertise is much appreciated!

2. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    It shouldn't matter which wire you choose to use as the 'hot' wire. The other wire can be mated with the shield and used as the ground wire with it.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Why don't you look at where the pickup leads are currently connected and let us know, then we can help you.

4. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Thanx for the replies!

I did try the "comparative" approach to the wiring dilemma, but the old Ibanez preamp (circa 1979) is so completely different from the Bartolini that's going in, that this approach is pretty much pointless. :meh:

I was hoping that one of my fellow TB'ers might've had some actual "hands-on" experience with these "brownie" pickups. I've searched the internet for info but no luck yet.

Still keeping the old fingers crossed though! :D

Any one else who might have thoughts on this?

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Sorry I have no insight on this, but I do have an MC980 with the same pickups, so I'll be interested to see what info turns up.

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm not sure it's completely pointless.
    Where are the current pickup wires going?
    With three wires, the options I see are that you have hot, cold and shield ground or hot,cold,power if the pickups are active.

7. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    I didn't mean to sound dismissive of your suggestion... it's more a reflection of my ignorance when it comes to circuitry like this. :crying:

I guess what I'm looking for is a clarification of whether these pickups are active or not. My Christmas wish ( :smug: ) is that someone will point me towards a web site or some other resource that will clarify the circuitry (Vol - Boost - PU Selector - EQ on/off - Treb/Mid/Bass) in these '79 Musicians.

I guess what I should do is let one of my electronically adept buddies have at it! :D

8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    if you take photos of the cavity, I and others will do what we can to help