I'm insulted

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jan 31, 2002.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I've had a post up for almost 2 days now asking for criticisms on a new song my band recorded, and haven't gotten a single response. Must I change my name to JT or Broken Angel to get a response? I say this jokingly but I truly am disappointed. The "show self pics" thread gets 10 responses a day - a thread about listening to someone elses music gets none. Is this saying something?????

This is my last shot at seeing if anyone want's to check out a new song. It's posted at www.thenerve.org, it's the yellow button in the middle titled "F'd up on Drugs", and I was told by a moderator that it was cool to post so long as put the disclaimer, Warning: Contains profanity. It may not be suitable for youger audiences, although the message is a positive one.
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well for me and a lot of people I think, this is a big problem. I only log onto TalkBass when I am at work and it's just not possible to listen to stuff.

For a start, my organisation's firewall stops any streaming media and also my laptop just really doesn't have any audio facilities. The best sound it gets is like wasp in a bottle! ;)

So I work with Computers all day and so when I am in my own free time, I'm not going to be looking at a screen and I am usually out playing music or listening at live gigs!

I have never listened to an MP3 in my life, although I have tens of thousands of CDs!

I think a lot of other people are techies at work and so can type the odd comment inbetween loading files and stuff, but there is no way they can download or listen to MP3s.

But it gets a bit boring saying all this every time somebody posts a file! ;)
  3. Like Bruce I log in at work, so couldn't really listen to anything without dusturbing my colleagues. Also, my PC has no sound card - another minor handicap.

Oh yeah, sometimes you just have to live with getting zero responses - it just happens!!! Deal with it!!! People may not know the answer to your question, may not have time to answer it - or review your etc.

I'm not having a go - if you feel I am, sorry! But after only waiting 2 days and them coming in to tell everyone how insulted you are won't help get the kind of responses you're looking for.
  4. i love the whole part were it goes:

The page cannot be displayed
    The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
    If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings.
    If you would like Windows to try and discover them,
    click Detect Network Settings
    Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
    If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
    Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
    Internet Explorer
  5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Joe...I must have missed the first time you posted. I love listening to what other TB'ers can do. I usually listen to all the music members post, but I tend to reserve my critique.

To start off..I really like your band. I liked the other samples you had on you site from the other CD's...especially "Spank the Monkey".

I was hoping you guys would be playing on 2 March because I'll be in the city with my wife looking for somthing to do.

Anayway...the song...I guess you have to be what the title says to like it! :eek: doh!

Just kidding...I think it's fun. I like what you did on the breakdown. Who does the singing?

It probably won't get much airtime unless you change it to "Forked Up on Drugs" or something. In that case...can you say GRAMMY?
  6. DaveTomasi

DaveTomasi Gold Supporting Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Baltimore, Maryland

I just listened to your song. You guys have a pretty good sound. The song has good energy and you guys are tight. I thought that the vocal track could have been a bit more up front in the mix during the verses especially since that is where I perceive the core of the song's message to be. Your bass sound is cool. It has edge and depth. It look's like you guys are 3 piece. When you play live, how do you handle the sound thinning during the guitar leads?
  7. Logging in at work, guys.....Tisk Tisk ;)

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well if you read "Off Topic", it seems most of them are only posting when they are at school! :rolleyes:
  9. Logging in at work, guys.....Tisk Tisk

Only during my flexible legitinate breaks;)
  10. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Thanks guys - I'm feeling a whole lot better bout life now. Zulu - we'll be playing on the 8th, but not the 2nd. My cover band will be playing on the 2nd in Hoboken (stonesthrow fomr NYC). There's supposed to be a St. Patricks day parade and tons of people there all that day - it's a pretty happening bar. If you want info you can find it at www.montiscrew.com. That band ain't my family though, nor do I feel I shine in the least with them.

To others that may download the song I have some concerns. The mix is a rough one (I agree the vocals are a tad low). We've been considering going with the rough mix when we press the full length CD. Our experience has shown that too much fiddling with the mix can give it a sterile sound. IMO however, the bass is too muddy - but it seems to be working for the song. I like the bass to usually be really clear so you can hear every articulation - that's clearly not the case here. Any opinions??? It's hard to be objhective when it's your own playing.
  11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey joe

your newz stops on the letter d. is that like stopping on a dime? :D ;)

i'm downloading the song now on a computer with no speakers, i'll get back to you when i get it on my other one and give it a listen.
  12. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    Hey Joe your a friggin mad man I like the hair. Im gonna check out a song in a bit but I wanna know what do you catagorize your style as?
  13. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I live in a dorm and can´t usually listen to stuff through the internet. But I can do it on weekends.:)
  14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Joe, I too am at work, so I can't check it out right now. But I will try to when I get home tonight.

Don't feel bad, I started a thread on my new mp3's and didn't get any replies the first 2 days except for Allodox wondering why I was up so late.:rolleyes:

It's finally up to 4 replies. Thanks to count_funkula, john turner, and Waste.
  15. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I live in a dorm.. but I listen to music all the time.. download it as well :)
  16. I listened too it, don't usually download music cause it takes so long on dialup and kills my line speed.

Bass does sound a bit muddy but I was attributing that to me computer sub(kind of cheap) but you can hear it well which most times I can't. I loose the vocals a bit in the middle of the song but it gets better at the end. As to the song itself, I don't hate it. Not the type of music I listen too but I wouldn't turn it off if it came on the radio. I have always been more into lyrics though, and I’m in the middle of a Folk Music phase at the moment, so I am a bit biased. Good energy though really drives.
  17. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    hey i really like the drugs song.its ska-punk.in "home" in the main picture,your guitarist/singer looks so much like ozzy!
  18. I hate listen music throught internet real player. I hate rebuffering, I can't listen well. I prefer download the song into my computer and litsen over and over again. I have to wait 20 min to listen 22 seconds. Maybe yoy should try to put a version for a complete download. If you don't know how I can tell you a trick. Just let me know.
  19. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Good to see I'm not the only insecure Talkbasser! :D;)

Joe, I'll be honest with you. I've probably downloaded about four or five things since I've been here, and occasionally went to the TB station - my modem is from the very pits of Hell itself, and my hard drive doesn't exactly have the space for it. If I can, I'll try to download it, but no promises.

And if you think this is moaning, just wait until you see my tantrum when I post my stuff up here... :eek:
  20. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    The newz stopped on d because I use a crappy webdesign program and it does what it wants to at times. After several attempts to fix it I finally reloaded the whole site. Yipee!!! It's fixed.

We tell people we do Rock with a punk edge. Pop-punk perhaps, but what a lame label and oxymoron. I have a rough time when people ask what kind of stuff we play (or who we sound like) cuz I feel if I don't give a quick straight answer I'm gonna sound pretentious as in - WE HAVE CREATED SOMETHING THAT NOONE HAS EVER HEARD BEFORE!. To me it's plain ol rock and roll - nothing much different than the who did. One person once said we sounded like a cross between the sex pistols and B52s and at the time of the comment, it was pretty on the money. I'm still pretty stuck when people ask us that.

Any suggestions for an answer to what we do would be greatly appreciated - as is all the above wonderful stuff you're all saying.