I'm joing a band.... NOW WHAT???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bass_is_for_me, Sep 18, 2003.

1. bass_is_for_me

Jan 1, 2003
    I have been playing bass for 3 years. I went to lessons for the first 6 months but my teacher was a self proclaimed "local band hero" and he knew very little music theory. Anyways earlier this week I was sitting in the music room on my free period playing bass. Well a few kids heard me and said we should form a band. So today we decided to have our first offical pratice. We picked 2 cover songs just to break the ice and get things moving Jimi Hendrix
    Machine Gun and Red Hot Chili Peppers around the world. What I am concerned about is when we create orignal music what do I need to know in order to accomplish this?

Thanks for any help!
  2. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    You can create music with what you currently have, no more music theory or equipment required. It all depends on what kind of music you want to make.
  3. bass_is_for_me

Jan 1, 2003
    We plan on playing Bob Marley meets Hendrix meets Reel Big Fish. I am not concerned with my skill level but my music theory.
  4. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    It would be a good Idea to look at Scale/Chord relationships. That way you'll increase your ability to create more intersting lines. Knowing how to form chords and scales is one thing, but knowing how they relate to and interact with each other is much more important, IMO.

Have fun in the new band bro!
    Travis :bassist:
  5. I haven't been playin for a year yet (year in december) and me and my friends formed a band. with our band I usually come up with some weird, effect-enhanced intro that I usually came up with a few days before in the late hours of the evening while watching Walker Texas Ranger. Then the guitarists make up something together that I add onto while they are coming up with it and in the meantime the drummer sits and draws random stuff in my garage. Once we get a pretty decent song written, we play it a few times for the drummer who comes up with a drum part and then there is always room to put more drum parts in if necessary.

IMO the easiest way is to pull up a few chairs, turn your amps low and just play stuff that sounds good, and hopefully, it should come out sounding like a decent song! Meanwhile, your drummer can draw or drink all your soda because you were foolish enough to have the practice in your garage :D Good luck with the band man! ~ Tyler
  6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

If i were you, I'd pick out your favorite Hendrix, Reel Big Fish, Bob Marley songs and listen long and hard in an effort to hear what makes each distinctive and exciting for you.

How long do the songs last? What instruments are used? How are the songs organized? Are there lots of solos? Are the songs complex or simple? What are the lyrics about? What are the preferred keys?

Then once you understand the basics of each band's stylistic elements, figure out how you can best combine those elements. Should you play Hendrix style, but with a reggae beat or should you play Bob Marley's gentle lyrics with a Hendrix edge? What will blend well and what will blow chunks?

Maybe you would do well to learn to play Marley, Hendix and RBF songs first, before you try to combine their styles. Then you will be on solid ground when you try to mix and match.

Good luck and have fun taking on this challenge.
  7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

You have heard the word of BOP!

And it is good.

Go forth and multiply.

Try not to cover the planet with metal ....

8. I agree with the BOPPER too. If ya learn a few covers, your ability to create your own lines to original songs will be greatly enhanced.
  9. bass_is_for_me

Jan 1, 2003
    Thanks for all the help!

We should be able to figure it out
  10. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Covers are cool, but music needs to come from you. From the inside of your soul. Find your own groove. And this may take several years, Sometimes longer! If you have a natural talent for music, this should be no problem. Be who you are and others "May" follow. Learn all that you can (or all you want to learn.) I have found over the years that finding other musicians you can click with is a very hard thing to do. As you get older you tastes in music change. Go on your "GUT" feelings.