I'm joining the Hammond club!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tplyons, Nov 28, 2004.

1. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Just answered an ad in the newspaper... Hammond Spinet Organ...$99!

Turns out it's a Hammond M-111 and it's only two miles from me! So I'm going to check it out in an hour, probably plunk down the money almost right away and store it at my wonderful girlfriend's until after Christmas!

I don't know how to play one, but after searching here, it turns out most people here didn't know how to play one before they bought an organ for an amazing price! If I can't figure it out, it's still not a bad investment!

Any thoughts?>
  2. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    We've got a huge Wurlitzer for free, anybody want it?
  3. Are we talking about one of there rhodes-like pianos or one of there organs? My key-board player already has a rhodes which was free (and is heavy). Wurlizers are also sweet, though, and have a rather distinct sound.
  4. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    The Organ, with the full rank of foot pedals and bench. Huge as heck! Want it, come get it.
  5. Sweet!!! Now get yourself a Leslie (rotary speaker) to go with it.

6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Cept a Leslie costs 10x as much...
  7. True about the Leslie... but you can get a simulator as cheap as $100 (Alesis NanoVerb, I use one live with my YamahaDX7 for organ sounds. Better yet, a used NanoVerb is cheap).

Oh, and an overdrive pedal (my favorite is the Ibanez Tube Screamer) will also give you some sonic versatility, by simulating the overdriven Leslie .

Here are some sound clips, played on a Korg CX3 (Hammond simulator) that are fun to listen to.

8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Seems we have similar rigs, I use a DX-7 as well, and have looked into the NanoVerb for such occasions.
  9. :cool: :cool: "Long live the mighty DX7!!!" :D

The DX7 being mono with no effects, can be somewhat bland. It really comes alive with the stereo NanoVerb. Here are some of the sounds / associated NanoVerb effects I use live with DX7:

Piano / touch of reverb
    Electric Piano / reverb with chorus
    Organ / rotary speaker
    Lead synth / reverb with chorus
    strings / reverb with chorus

I believe the Hammond has a 1/4" out so you could use the NanoVerb rotary effect, in stereo provided your amplification is so configured.
  10. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Question, should I get a dedicated keyboard amp for my DX-7 and Korg SG-1D Sampling Grand? I know the bass amp causes them to lose some brilliance, but a keyboard amp would be best right?

If I'm going to be using the internal amplification system on the M-111, can I use the Nanoverb still? It's got some sort of reverb installed with switches that say Leslie, so that sounds great by itself.
  11. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Love Hammonds and Rhodes. I've owned a C3 (chop job), E-1 (huge beast, not to be confused with the E-100 stuff), and an XB3 (or whatever that number was). Also had a tallboy Leslie for a while. Loved them all. I owned a Rhodes Stage 73 for about a year...I found it on a sidewalk in Brooklyn during a rain storm and with the help of a borrowed shopping cart lugged it to my third floor walkup. It needed some work, but it sounded great eventually!

bimplizkit's links are good ones, if I dig up some other ones, I'll add.

12. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    My moms friend is storing a Hammond organ with a Leslie at my house, and the thing is nuts. My brother played his guitar through it, and it was cool.
  13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

I used to play with a cat from the reggae group called The Equalites, he swore by his C3 (Church model IIRC)... his was retro fitted into a roadcase and was able to split in half for transport... The two Leslies were another story, though. :scowl:
  14. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    On a different note, is there that much of an audible difference between an actual Hammond organ (without the Leslie cab) and a synth with a good Hammond preset?

I have a similar opportuntity to get an old Hammond, but the bulk of the instrument doesn't make it very practical. I don't mind the Hammond sounds I get from my synth. I've also heard Hammonds with Leslies in a live settings and found that the Lesie seems much more crucial than the organ in terms of getting that tone. Am I way off base or missing something?
  15. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Yeah! I had mine in high school...it was literally a chop job in that the bottom half was entirely gone (minus the volume pedal). It killed on "I Shot the Sheriff" among others. It took all four of the scrawny members of my band to get it into my parent's wood-paneled station wagon before one of our few gigs. I didn't have a Leslie at the time but a Guild Thunderbass amp!

A couple years later, I figured...well, I have this bass amp; maybe I should give bass a try. And the rest is history.

16. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I thought the C in C3 was for 'console' becaause it had the bottom half that the B3 lacked. I guess it could be Church, because I've sure seen a lot of them in churches. A good friend of mine had one. When she divorced her husband I helped her move it. One other guy and I got a C3 (and Leslie) into the back of a pickup, tied it(them) down, and took it(them) out of the pickup and into the the storage building, just the two of us.

I am usually confident that in any group of people, I will probably be the strongest one. But that day totally kicked my butt.
  17. I wonder how much shipping would be on a tonewheel organ......

My keyboard player already has a cx3, though.
  18. Yes. The drawbars interact in ways that would be difficult to replicate on a synth. The synth overtones you might get are a little too pure, whereas on a Hammond they might be a wee bit off and doing the boogie a little bit. Plus, if you're emulating the classic Hammond sound with "percussion", it's just difficult if not impossible to replicate the way it behaves-- on a Hammond you can play chords with the percussion, but if you play legato the percussion doesn't retrigger. On a synth, the percussion retriggers with every note you play (e.g. Tony Banks' cheesy synth solo in That's All).

For my money I'm satisfied with using the Native Instruments B4, which models the B3 close enough for government work. Weighs a lot less than a real Hammond and Leslie, too.