1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm just curious

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by lawsonman, Dec 20, 2006.

1. lawsonman

lawsonman

Dec 19, 2005
    NW IL
    I'm fairly new on this forum as far as posting but I've read a ton of stuff on here and in doing so I'd like to ask a question for anybody that cares to answer. Why do so many people here want to sound or play LIKE someone that plays for a popular band or is maybe a solo player. In no way am I bashing anyone for doing so but it got me to thinking about my own playing. I've been doing live gigs since 1962 and the only time since then that I wasn't in a band was for 16 years while raising a family,and even then I still played once in a while.I don't think I've ever played a bassline exactly like the record in my life.I've never wanted to. I also never wanted to really sound like anybody else. I also just messed around with stuff until I liked what I heard and then just ran with it.To me it's really boring when I listen to a cover band do a song EXACTLY like the record. Give me your thoughts.

2. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Well, I believe it's all part of musical development. A lot of people will emulate others styles until the have developed enough to create thier own. It's not just in music, painters will emulate others styles to learn it and incorperate it into their own, same with writers. I have gone through periods with bassists, jaco, manring, victor, etc. and I have taken bits and pieces of thier vocabulary to use in my own style.