Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm just not impressed with Warwick.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FOE_Bass, Apr 15, 2001.

1. FOE_Bass

FOE_Bass Guest

Jun 29, 2000
    Grass Valley, CA
    I was at Guitar Center last Thursday and I played a Warwick (not sure which one, it had a humbucker though, and was about $1k) through a SWR Mo' Bass head and a SWR 8x10 cab and I was dissapointed. I hear all these rave reviews about Warwick, and it sounded worse than my $200 Johnson J-Bass. Now I fiddled with all the possible settings on the guitar and the head for 15 minutes a piece and still couldn't get it to sound right. BTW, I'm not impressed with the Mo' Bass either.

2. I have one word for ya....SPECTOR!
    BTW, the bass you likely tried was the Corvette FNA

3. MD your posts are like clock work :D

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I second that. I was @ a Guitar Center on thursday also, I wasen't too impressed by them either. A Pedulla caught my eye, though. I played one Warwick I liked & it belonged to Joe Nerve. I still like my Spectors better.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I really like my Corvette FNA. No complaints with it at all. But to each his own, I guess.

I think I am gonna have to try out one of these darn Spectors that all you guys have been raving about. I gotta find me a dealer somewhere around here. I have only played one, but that was long ago and I am not sure which model it was, so I can't comment on them.

6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    You may have tried the Streamer Standard..
    Wich is not made like the rest of the Warwicks.

7. drbottom

drbottom

Mar 7, 2001
    Manchester, CT
    I recently acquired two warwick corvettes, a fretless standard and a limited edition with a MAPLE neck. I think they are great, but I can see how some people wouldn't like them. They are definitely an acquired taste:

The famous thick necks

A great, but fairly limited, range of sounds

The weight

The shape(s)--I actually do NOT like the spector like shape of some of the warwicks.

However, if you like the tone, and adjust to the necks, they PLAY like a dream.

Just a voice in the wilderness.

8. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Are you sure the problem wasn't the amp/speakers?

9. FOE_Bass

FOE_Bass Guest

Jun 29, 2000
    Grass Valley, CA
    DUDE! I also played a Pedulla that day and LOVED it! We're like sole mates dude!:)

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'm not crazy about Warwicks but before I wrote them off I'd try them through an amp I was familiar with. I've tried that SWR amp a few times now and have yet been able to make it sound decent, for me.

11. Try it through an Eden or some other high-end amp. I tried a Mo' Bass and an Eden WT-600 side-by-side and the Eden blew the SWR away. The Mo' Bass effects were kinda cool but each effect wasn't as good as I would have liked.

I'm not against SWR. I have a Triad and a Workingman's 15 combo. They're great amps. I just think that Edens are better.

- Dave

12. The Pedulla Thunderbass is a wonderful bass. But,
    just as NINO mentioned, Pedulla makes nice basses but their just not a Spector! The sound between Pedulla and Spector is closer than the feel IMO.

13. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I wish I had a GC near me... :(

14. Yes! I agree....I own a basic black once, used GK, and still impressed with Eden!!. Even the Nemesis are great...Nemesis are made by Eden...I'm planning on getting that too.

Warwick...hmmm....some people are crazy about Warwick, some hate em! I've seen a lousy bass guitar, Peavy amp, played by Jeff Berlin in his school and it sounded like DIAMOND!! And seen a "good" bassist playing an Alembic through a Hartke combo(me) and sounded like crab!!! Maybe when you tried out that Warwick, Victor Wooten was just playing before you...that could be possible too.

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    There are far fewer lousy basses out there than most people believe;)

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Amen!

17. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i've had my thumb (NT 5string) for about 3 years, and could never replace it.

and i'm going to work my ass off this summer to buy a mo' bass, cos i LOVED how it sounded.

hehe, that's why they make different stuff!

jason

18. Well, some people are, and others aren't... That's what makes life interesting - just think how boring it would be if we all liked exactly the same things...

I have a Thumb 5 NT FL, and also a Thumb 4 NT FL - they're both from the early 1990s and as far as I know, they were made in Germany. I've read that the newer Warwicks aren't as well made as the older ones. I like both of mine, but the 4, being lighter, is less tiring to play for any length of time.

Of all my basses, my favourite is My Double-Bass - in the past couple of months I've played my DB exclusively.

- Wil

19. akajuve400g

akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    Louisiana
    When I first got my Warwick, i Wasn't too impressed with it (neck size and shape, body weight, and even the sound a little) But After a few weeks I had adjusted to the shape and fell in love with the sound (I guess I just learned how to play the bass better and get the sounds I wanted out of it) I recently played a music man stingray and sterling, I personally don't think they sound as good as my corvette std.

20. My band refers to my Warwick as the "tree", and I have played it now for the past 2 practices only...However they have totally adapted to the sound and actually are diggin' the distinct tone...Saturday I plugged in my G&L and my drummer said to use the "tree" instead.....

Warwick is definately an acquired taste, and I will never tell anyone that they will love the sound......

Different strokes......