Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Im just starting bass, what type is good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Linelion63, May 7, 2005.

1. Hey Im looking to start playing bass, but I have no idea what type/brand/model is good and what is junk. Somebody please give me a clue!

2. fender=evil

don't let anyone tell you any differently!

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:rolleyes:

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass.:cool:

What is your budget?

What kind of music are you wanting to play?

What bass players do you like, and listen to?

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I would get one of those evil Fenders.

6. Im not sure what my budget is, it would really depend on what average prices are. So it would be helpful if everyone would include what a good price is for their suggestion.

As to what music I'm gonna play, I was planning on joining my church's christian rock band, once I'm decent.

I dont really pay attention to who it is I'm listening to, it's usually more like "Wow, I liked that bass part!" or some such thing. Like one of my favorite parts is in "The Devil Went Down to Georgia". REALLY liked that.

7. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I did some hunting around on here trying to figure out what should be my first bass, but in the end I couldn't make the decision without going to Guitar Center and trying out everything. I ended up walking away with an OLP 5-string, which I'm very happy about. The Ibanez GSR200 gets tons of praise, but for me the neck was too small and the strings too close together. So if I were in your situation, I'd figure out how much I could spend, do some homework in that price range, then go try out as many of those recommended basses as possible.

8. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    a great bass for rock is one of those evil fenders. get the fender standard precision bass, around $400 new, but you could get a nice one used around 200-300. Nothing beats the classic fender sound.

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Get a Fender Precision (P Bass).
    Made in Mexico (MIM) if you are looking for the least expensive.
    Made in (or crafted in) Japan (MIJ or CIJ) for great quality and slightly more $$ than the MIM stuff.
    A Made in America (MIA) Precision is a great bass to to buy and keep for the long haul... and the most money.

Even if you change up to other basses... a Precision just sit perfect in the mix. Used by a wide range of players in a wider range of styles.

try www.musiciansfriend.com for ball park prices

10. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I'm kind of biased, but I would recommend a Spector Legend to ANYONE getting started. The price is right and the quality is good enough that you're not going to need to upgrade in a year.

11. Jason, I'm a newb too.
    I just went out and got my stuff, and believe me, you don't know till you here it. What I did, is I had a bass player that is a buddy of mine- sort of (brother in laws best friend, but decent bassist) play the same riff on alot of different basses with diff amps. What I ended up with was a Yamaha bb 414 bass, with a Fender rumble 100 bass amp (the Big Daddy). Goin into the store before I listened to the sounds, if someone told me to get a Yamaha bass and a fender amp, I'd laugh my ass off, but this sounded amazing. The Yamaha sounded good on all the amps, but I got a deal on the Fender amp ($300 canadian - reg $450). But after buyin the bass, amp, guitar case, strap, cord, a beginner book, tuner, got some headphones and a recorder; I spent around $1000 Canadian. Well worth it, if you ask me, but you need to find what sounds good to you!
    Best of luck!

:bassist:
    Pipes on bass :bassist:

12. oh and by the way, the Yamaha sounded 100 x better then the Fender mexican P-bass (even on the Fender amp). This may sound unbelievable, and I would have never thought if I didn't hear it myself!

13. Got a signiture now, and I'm still pumped, :hyper:
    so I'm comin 1 more time. when you are at the store checkin out the basses you are interested in, be sure to try diff amps as well. The Yamaha 414, I mentioned, sounded good on everything I tried, but there was some other sounds I deffinetly digged, until I heard the Yamaha. But no other bass sounded good on Everything !!! What sounds good to you, might be different that what sounds good to me, and to the next guy, etc... You need to Feel it for yourself. But if you are as inexperienced as me, when shoppin, try to get a bass player to go with (but don't let him make your descisions, get him to play the same stuff on different basses). If you can't get an actual bassist to go with you, keep it simple, but play the same stuff yourself! I have also had nothin but good experience with the shop guys, but I have heard some wacked storries, I wouldn't want to trust there word, even though 9 X outta 10, they will be honest!
    Happy huntin, and be sure to fill us in what you get!

14. keith phelps

keith phelps

Sep 25, 2002
    Pipes has a nice setup. I think the Yamaha's are being blown out online somewhere for around the $200 mark. I don't know what Pipes paid for his. You mentioned Christian rock. I play a bit of that. Lots of drop D tuning there. If you can handle the neck, you might want to think about a 5 string. That low B will come in handy. Just my 2 cents. Whatever you choose, you are going to get a ton of enjoyment from playing the bass. You will start to listen to music differently as well. Good luck.

15. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York

Your hearing this from a guy who has a schecter omen.
    Tell that to the thousands of pro bassists who use them Marcus Miller , Jaco , Jeff Ament , Reggie Hamilton , Geddy Lee ...The list goes on.

I went to GC to either get a Warwick corvette or a MM Stingray and I was about to get the Ray and the guy showed me the Fender Jazz Deluxe put them both to shame.

Anyway Tell us what your price range is and we can give you some Ideas.

Heres a couple in a few different price raanges.....

-Ibanez gsr200 around $200 (awesome starter bass , do a search!)

-MIM fender J or P $350 - $400

-Mtd Kingston about $400 (Highly recomend this if its in your price range!)

16. are you kidding? I've owned A LOT of fenders and I have never had anything go wrong with them. When I first started playing, I had a Yamaha. I hardly got to play it, it was in the shop most of the time. After 3 monthsof owning it, I sold it and got a fender. But anyway, I would recomend a mexican or japanese fender.

17. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    again if you give a price we can give better recomendations to fit your needs