I'm lookin' for a good, high quality, COMFORTABLE strap...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ty McNeely, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    The title pretty much says it all.

My fiver wears on my shoulders after a while. Where can I get a good strap. I don't know how much a good one costs, but I'd like to spend no more than $50.

And for the DB-land people, what should I name it:D:D:D
  2. Levi leather strap; padded and at least 3.25"wide.
  3. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Comfort Strapps are neoprene with elastic and are pretty nice. I think they are about $35 at GC or go to www.comfortstrapp.com to check them out.
  4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
  5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Hmmmm.....2 votes for each of 'em:confused:

*Frantically clicks all over the 'Net, comparing the two*

Anybody know where I can GET one of those Comfort Strapps? The nearest GC is 2 1/2 hours away, and the <a href="http://www.comfortstrapp.com">Comfort Strapp</a> site doesn't have a way to order them (that I can find). Those are the ones I would prefer since I don't really want a leather strap (looks aren't everything, I know, but I think my bass would look bad with a leather strap:(.......after looking, the black may not be so bad:confused:), plus I like the feel of neoprene a lot better.

Hmmmm.....I'm through rambling (for now). Anybody got any ideas about those "Comfort Strapps". Where they be:confused:?!?!?

I still haven't gotten any suggestions from the DB folks for a name, and I'm guessin' the joke just went right over all of the BG peoples' heads:D
  6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Order em from BassNW or Bass Central.
  7. The cheapest place I have seen them on the web is www.activemusician.com

I had one, didn't do much for me.
  8. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Hmmm...thanks Angus...I'll check 'em out:)

I found a 2-1/2" padded strap at Mars, but the black one wasn't in stock.

Now that I've got a place to check, hopefully I can get my hands on one o' them Comfort Strapps.
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Those neoprene straps are ugly, and they blow, as well. They look cheap, and they wear out fast.

Nosir, Donne hit the nail on the head. Levy's wide leather strap. Black. Bitchen. $35 or so, if you do it right.
  10. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Well poo:(

How can I "do it right" almighty Munji:confused:

I've searched and searched but seem to find nowhere that I can order them online. The places that DO have Levy's (which is a big selection) don't seem to carry the 3-1/2" PADDED ones, only the 3-1/2" leather and nylon ones. Whats the deal?

Can somebody point me to a place where I can order (online, preferably) a Levy's 3-1/2" black padded leather strap?
  11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Gonna have to disagree with the almighty Munji on this one (sorry man! ;) )!!!

I've been using the same Comfort Strapp for over 6 years now. Included in that time is a stint of a year + playing 6 hours a night 5 nights a week in a club on Bourbon St. in New Orleans (no a/c in the summer, no heat in the winter...whee :p). I'm still using that very same strap every time I put a bass on my shoulder, and it's as good as new. So, yes Virginia, the Comfort Strapp, neoprene and all, will hold up to some pretty severe abuse and keep right on going.

Oh, did I mention it's easily the most comfortable strap I've ever used? Leather, even soft leather, can cut into your shoulder after a while, the Comfort Strapp won't do that.

One more thing, I recommend Bass Central for a place to order them (why, no I'm not prejudiced, not at all, why do you ask? :eek: ;) ).
  12. john b carvalho

john b carvalho Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2001
    I have to agree with Gard,I 've had my Comfort Strap since 92 when it was initially distributed by Tobias.And it shows no signs of wearing out in the near future.

13. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Comfort Strapp for sure. And activemusician.com is the best place to get them. (at least they were for me)
  14. i think u can order them at musiciansfriend.com
  15. The link I provided earlier in this thread is to the standard 3&1/2" Levy's padded (foam core) leather bass strap. If you want the deluxe version go to http://www.elderly.com/ and do a search for MSS90-BLK. Here's the description from elderly:

3 1/2" wide padded leather strap, adjusts from 39" to 53", black
    MSS90-BLK.....list $59.00.....our price $47.20
  16. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Ok...thanks all:)

I REALLY like the looks of those Levy's straps. But, from what I hear everybody ('cept Munji:p) likes those Comfort Strapps more. I think they look alright, and they're also $20 cheaper. I think I found one at <a href="http://www.activemusician.com">Active Musician</a>, so as long as it's in shop hopefully it'll be here before long!
  17. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    hey man. i have never tried a comfort strap.. but I did just guy a levys leather strap. 3.5" wide nicd and thick.. black, it looks good and feels great.. it distributes the weight nicely and being a bass player. that is a must.. however.. it cost $50.. i think the comfort strap might be cheaper.. i never have heard of them until just now... i got another bass that can always use a strap.. i'll give them a look. peace

18. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Thanks to all who pitched in. Just FYI, I ordered a Comfort Strapp from <a href="http://www.activemusician.com">Active Musician.com</a> (sorry Gard, Bass Central doesn't let you order online:() a little while ago. I'll post when I get it and get the chance to gig with it and tell you what I think.