Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Im lookin for a rb, jazz, baseline that......

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by billybo, May 12, 2003.

1. billybo

billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    is challemging...it gotta be 4 string tho...im gettin good at pickin up baselines by ear and now i need a challenging one...if anyone know any songs with hard baselines let me know...anything but rock and roll and punk and all that...im more rb jazz soul type player...

2. Work on some Motown bass lines played by James Jamerson. Here are three fairly tough ones:
    1) I Was Made to Love Her by Stevie Wonder
    1) For Once in My Life by Stevie Wonder
    1) What's Going On by Marvin Gaye

The notes themselves aren't that tough, but the rhythms are hard to get down correctly. Most important thing about these lines is that they have to feel good and groove. Have fun.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Try Stuart Zender's line from Jamiroquai's "Kids."

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I think both of the above recommendations are excellent. Any Jamerson or Jamiroquai.

For more of a jazz thing I'd recommend picking up some Marcus Miller stuff. His lines sometimes sound harder than they are and if you aren't into slap there are a lot of them that you could easily play fingerstyle (if not the exact line then something similar at least). Any of his CD's are good. His latest studio release is called M2. I recommend him because it's jazz with a soul feel and his lines are always VERY forward in the mix.

brad cook