Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

im lookin to buy a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassDelGato, Oct 22, 2003.

1. i need some help buying a new bass, i want someone to reccomend me one what i am looking for: four string, fretless with fretlines,pickups that dont hum or buzz much or at all, doesnt need to be specifically active or passive, i would like to be able to get a jaco-like sound but also a nice pop and slap sound with a simple switch of pickups and/or change of equalization settings, i am looking to spend about a thousand dollars or less, currently i am playing a fender V jazz bass (mexican made) its alright but not great.. someone please recoomend me a bass (and no i do not want a music man) peace

2. Hey there, BassDelGato, since you're asking in a pretty wide search pattern, let me suggest this:

Go to these websites:

Musiciansfriend.com
    American Musical Supply.com
    Music123.com

Type in "fretless bass" in the search box, and see what they have in stock right now. If something catches your eye, come back here and ask about that specific bass. People who own one are usually very eager to tell you their story about it, be it good or bad.

So far at Musiciansfriend I found two basses you might be interested in:

1) A Conklin GT-4 fretless for $699.99
    2) A Warwick Corvette Standard fretless for $959.00

I haven't played either bass, so I can't give you any first hand advice on them, but they do fit most of your criteria.

If I may ask, why are you not considering a Stingray or Sterling?

Good luck. Let us know what you get.

Mike :)

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You can get a Warwick Corvette standard fretless on ebay for pretty cheap. (600 ish)