Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm looking for a good 5 string bass in the 600-700ish range..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The_Ryst, May 9, 2005.

1. give or take a few dollars, somewhere in that range I need a MEGA versatile bass that can take thousands of hours of abuse. I currently play an Ibanez GSR200 (Four string.)

I play everything from Funk, Metal, Prog, Rock, Jazz, Blues, Country, etc. etc. etc.

I'd LOOOVE a Sting Ray 5, but that's nowhere near my range...

I'd prefer active electronics. I own a Behringer 1200x combo amp. I'm a poor teen so help me out.

2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    A G&L L2500 sounds like a good bet to me, either a used US model or a new Tribute model. Lots of other good basses but that's a good starting point.

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    A few days ago, someone started a thread involving some of the usual suspects: G&L Tribute L-2500, Lakland Skyline 55-01, and a couple of others. For versatility, playability, and value, these two would be tough to beat, but if you can find one try the Fender Deluxe Zone five. I played the four string, and really liked it.

Yamaha makes a nice active five, the RBX375, which is about $400. I tried its predecessor today, the RBX775, and thought it was very decent for the price. Probably not as versatile as the G&L or Lakland, and vintage sounds aren't as readily available, but it's a solid, smooth modern tone. (The older 775, that is; I assume the new one would be similar.) If you like playing on the upper frets, the Yamaha might be a good option.

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

If you ever can afford it get a Sadowsky, their the best 5 strings i have played. For the price range you mentioned i would say G&L or maybe a Fender Marcus Miller 5 string.

5. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    schecer stilleto studio five is in that range retail, I would suggest using one of those. they sound awesome and the hour I played it at a local store made me smile like a school girl.

or if you want to stay with ibanez, maybe try a SR 905, which retails for about 700 if you know where to go, also an amazing bass.

from one broke teen looking for a bass to another, good luck.

6. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    Az
    I own the Schecter Elite 5, I love it. Neck thru design, very nicely set up out of the box and well made. I got mine for $500 bucks brand new from a small local shop. It was actually pretty hard to find this bass, G.C. was sold out and most don't carry schecter. I have the current model of the Elite 5, the only difference is the diamond inlay on the 12th fret. The old model has two small diamonds, the new has one large single diamond. The studio 5 can be had for a little bit more money, but I couldn't find a studio in any shop. I got a killer deal on the elite so I took it and have no regrets.

I also have the C4 which is a bolt on neck and also very well set up and easy to play. In this price range I liked these the best for quality and the fact that my small fingers took to the slim necks right away.

Only thing I don't like is the Elixer strings, I just can't seem to get a good feel on the elixers. :)

7. coop

coop

Jun 22, 2002
    Oklahoma
    If you Love a SR5. At the very least, you will have some serious like for the G&L Tribute L2500. Right in your price range too!

8. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    For that money, I'd have a Lakland 55-01 squarely in my sights.

9. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    MTD Kingston 5-string, active. Very versatile. Well within your price range.

10. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Both my fivers are in that price range - Lakland 55-01 and Godin BG-5. They are ying and yang and I really like them both.

11. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    There are lots of good ideas here, and I hope I am not too out of line...but I can't help but think that a little less bass and a little more amp would be a better choice for a "poor teen". There are plenty of really good basses that will fill the bill for now, and a good amp rig will facilitate the experience you need, to know what you really need in an instrument.

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    In terms of personal experience, I would recommend a Tribute L-2500 or a SUB 5. The Lakland 55-01 is great and you might look out for a used Stingray 5 or Bongo, you could find one for $150-200 more than than the limit you posted. Look for used Peavey USA Millennium 5s too.

13. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Another vote for the Schecters. I have an Stiletto Elite 4 and its a really nice bass. The only thing I don't like about it is the color! :p

14. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    the Stilleto 4 sounds good? i like the style of this basses,my friend have a 5 stringer but i need a 4 string

15. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    for versatility I would vote for the 55-01. You can get one used in that range.

16. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    You can check out some samples of it here: Samples
    They are all recorded using the Elite 4 w/ DR low riders into my ART Nightbass SE and then to PC. Check out the Preamp samples to get them without effects. BTW, don't pay any attention to my crappy playing! :p

17. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    what about a conklin GT-5. They just updated them from conklin electronics to bartolini and are active. They are within your price range and feel and play great. You really can't beat that purpleheart fretboard.

18. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Ditto on the MTD. I own a Kingston active 5. It's one the best out there imo..... For right around $500, you cant go wrong....

19. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Get what you *really* want - an SR5. Assuming you're in the US, you're within striking distance of a used one...

20. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    +1 on used. You'd be surprised what kinds of nice higher-end stuff you can get used for $500- $700.

Or save up a bit more and get a SUB 5.