Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm looking for a good 6str bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ummu, Jan 21, 2004.

1. I'm now in a situation of buying a new bass (my third one). and I'd like to buy a 6str bass in addition to my old 4strings which I'm going to sell (not too good basses :/).

I've played Yamaha RBX6JM, and it felt great, but I'm still open for new suggestions.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out. Give me some suggestions. And please add URL link if possible. And some specs too. I'm going invest somewhat 900-1000 euros (its about 1000$ I guess).

Im relatively new with 6str but I've heard quite a bit about the string spacing... my playing style is more into tapping than slap, so I guess a bit tighter spacing wouldn't be a problem. Though its great to slap sometimes :).

2. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    can you have one shipped or are you going to buy from a local dealer? . if the latter, then is Finland a rich place about brands?

3. artistanbul

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    and honestly I abhor the new myung bass. it cannot come close to the TRB.. I don't understand why he did this... maybe because its made in Korea?

4. Well there aren't actually any 6str basses here, but I could travel a bit to a bigger city.

But there aren't very much brands... in Helsinki (capital) I've seen and tried mostly Yamaha and Warwick 6str.

But it's always possible to order a bass abroad (via local music store) or directly from for example thomann.de. Its ofcourse (much) expensive to order via local...

And it would be great if the country to order from would be EU... then there wouldn't be any extra taxes/tolls to pay :).

5. artistanbul

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    ... how about getting a TRB6II used?..

6. not a bad idea at all...

But it may be very difficult to find one, at least from here :p. I guess I'll have to start searching. I still have about a month before I get my hands on the money :).

7. artistanbul

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    Id say do it then. Much better than rbx. Mind you though it's a different bass. But if you have liked the RBX, you'll LOVE the TRB.

8. Great.

Goes under serious consideration :). Now gotta go sleep on it ;).