Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i'm looking for a good keyboard, please advice

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FractalUniverse, Dec 19, 2004.

1. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    hello, i'm looking for a good keyboard with the following features:

- 88 heavy keys (like a piano)
    - great piano sound for my studies.
    - great effects for everything else (great piano sound and great effects usually don't go together)
    - with Workstation, hopefully one that allow me to work-use midi without a computer.

that's it people, hope you can help
    you're input will be appreciated.

2. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Yamaha Motif ES8!

3. Stax

Stax

Dec 19, 2004
    Oaktown
  4. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    uhm...not to many answers, but thanks
    I think that motif is better for me, is there other keyboard like that one?

5. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    The Roland Fantom X88? I have a Motif, and I love it!

6. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    One of the workstations from one of the "big three" (Yamaha, Roland, Korg) would suit your needs.

7. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    thanks i think that's all the info i need

8. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I really dug the Kurzweil SP88x. I don't think it would do the workstation thing so well, but the one I played was the first(read as 'only', so far) digital piano I have ever played that felt like my piano at home. And it had a lot of pretty good sounds.

9. The problem that you are going to run into is that having weighted keys (heavy keys) will run the price up A LOT. 88 keys, weighted, and a good piano sound will probably run you $800+. Roland makes a couple of good ones, 'cept I can't remember the models. Your best bet for sound quality will be a Yamaha Motif, a Korg Triton 88, or any of the Kurzweil models. But with those three, you are easily talking $2000.

Rock on
    Eric

10. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Actually, as a guy who is also in the keyboard market right now I find that 88 keys makes a for significant increase in price over a 76 or 61 key. But, I find that for many Piano players (not me), 88 keys is the only way to go. That's why I'm upgrading from a 61 to an 88 - it's for the real piano players that will be in my studio, not hacks like myself, where 61 is just fine.

The workstation features seems to further increase the price (almost double). The workstation part is nice, but if you already have software that will sequence, arpeggiate, sample, etc. then the cost and features will be redundant. I've decided to forgo the workstation features for the sake of cost, even though an on-board sequencer, sampler, etc. would make things more convenient. But since I have them on my computer, I don't have a pressing need. Since my computer is pretty loaded with cool stuff, I've decided to look for a keyboard that will work as a MIDI controller that has cool sounds built-in for live use. If it has the additional features, then great, otherwise it's not worth the cost to me.

Just sharing my thoughts

11. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Jive1, you might consider splitting the chores up, like I'm doing.

My old keyboard player is selling his W30 to me. It's a decent workstation (surprisingly so, considering age, it's almost 15 yers old.) with all the sounds he made up for our old songs that I wrote (the real reason I'm buying it) And I'm getting a Yamaha SO8 as well for the piano feel, controller function and a pretty decent range of sounds.

But between the two keyboards, and for a total of $1200, counting the stand, I'll have a weighted 88 key keyboard for piano-centric guys, and an unweighted 61 key for anyone who prefers that soft feel.

I'm hoping that I'll have everyones preferences covered.

12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    It won't be a workstation, but I've been seeing the Casio Privia series of weighted key pianos going as low as $500.

If I can piggyback on the thread - I picked up a Roland XP-80 workstation about a month ago, and am having a ball learning keys. Does anybody have any suggestions for economical used or new fully weighted key *controllers* I could use as an add-on?

13. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    If you dont mind spending a few extra dollars look at the Roland RD700. My brother purchased one about a year ago and has been more than satisfied with it.

88 weighted keys and a great sampling of keyboard and other sounds.

14. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    If you just want a controller with weighted keys, look for a used Fatar 88 key controller. Decent action, decent price.

15. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    good advice
    thanks people
    anyway at the beggining i was talking as if i was the person that wanted the keyboard, but it's info for a band mate, and since that he dosn't speak english i'm gathering info.
    thanks